APC Forum

Comet spacing

808goboom

Yo, I got 1/2" comets and 5/8" tube which leaves about 1/16" of spacing around the entire comet in the tube...will that extra spacing prevent my comet from shooting high or will the extra spacing reduce pressure build up from the lift....I'm going to be packing tissue paper in the tube after I load the lift and comet....hopefully it'll help increase pressure...lmk wut I should do, whether to get tighter fitting comets/ tubes or ways to increase pressure build it....I want these comets flying as high as possible.

You should be fine with that spacing.

As with bombettes a perforated lifter disk with a central hole, separating the comet from the lift and showing a diameter of the tube ID, will drastically improve the lift height with a given amount of powder.

Priming the comets will bring up the od.

I second the bombette tactics aswell only don't use tissue, the fallout is ugly and will smoulder for a while. A square or oversized round disc above the comet is best, you simply push it in with a dowel.

Or you could just put a few grams of bp and forget the construction methods, both work for me :)

Dan.

Thanks for all the help guys....I just decided to sand down my dowel to about 9/16". ,y 5/8" dowel was hand carved and actually left 3/32" of space....so now my new dowel leaves about 1/16". But I'm confident it'll shoot at a good height now...so long I plug my comets with a cardboard disk or some tissue paper.