APC Forum

Ammonium Nitrate availability

FlaMtnBkr

Does anyone know about the availability of ammonium nitrate or if there are any new laws coming down the line that aren't speculation?

It seems I read something about suppliers and buyers having to get an ID number so that sales can be tracked. It sounded like it just required a background check so it might not be terrible especially if you dumped a couple bags on your lawn. But that may have just been a suggestion?

I have access to 50 lb bags at a few different places. I'm just wondering if this is going to become unobtanium and if I should get some (more). I have quite a few bags for exploding targets and smoke bombs. I have also sold a few bags to people who can't get it and probably have enough for just me shooting targets. So not sure if I should pick up more or not. It was hard to drive away from a pallet without picking up at least a couple bags.

I also can get Haifa GG KNO3 but don't see that going anywhere so not worried about it as much.

Any thoughts?

And if this is in the wrong place, feel free to move it.

I'd certainly be buying a few extras. Your supplier may not be getting rid of it any time soon, but most are if they haven't already. Worst case, sell them later.

What brand AN can you get? Is it coated, or uncoated?

I forget the brand the store I normally go to carries. Think it has blue in the name. It is uncoated straight 34-0-0 prilled AN. But there are 3 stores close by that carry it and 2 more further away that also carry it but collect personal info when you buy it. So I don't bother with them since I don't have to. I expect they all will keep carrying it until the government says they can't, which is why I ask. Heck, I even dump a couple bags on the ground most years after I get the soil tested. Works pretty good.

You can find bulk bags of uncoated AN at farm supply stores? I thought it's so hygroscopic it had to be sealed watertight to not hydrate to the point of being useless for pyro applications, and I never noticed fertilizer being bagged with such care.

50 lbs bags beat buying it in cold packs like i have too. I would deff. Stock up. It's only a matter of time...

I'm a little leary when someone comes along and on their first post asks about AN.

It can be bought, even with a coating, and with varying levels of preparation used in exploding targets that require a high velocity bullet. This fortunately greatly limits it's use as a destructive device. If someone wants to use bulk AN as a bomb it is no easy task. It requires a primary explosive which will always be as easy to obtain and make as walking into a pharmacy or hardware store or even most grocery stores. But also requires a booster which is a lot more difficult to make. So if someone is trying to make a bomb there is a good chance it won't work and also a good chance someone will blow their hand off trying to make, by it's very nature and definition, the primary explosive.

This doesn't really belong here except I'm not going to go into how to make it work. I just want to point out that it isn't very easy to make it work unless you really know what you are doing. Except for targets which really needs to be prepped to work good whether it is coated or not. Even then it requires it to be shot with a rifle.

Again, it is a little strange to come here and ask on your first post and most members who do have the knowledge aren't going to freely explain how to do it to someone new. Even if you aren't a terrorist, reporter, or government employee, you need to show you have the maturity and understanding of such things before anyone will discuss these topics. I'm probably being a bit cautious but it's not much different than if you were asking about salutes with your first post.

With that said, welcome. Stick around and you can learn to make some great fireworks. Maybe introduce yourself at some point and let us know what experience you have with pyro.

I can't see any real use for AN except for exploding target or anything else. Potassium nitrate is far more useful as it's used in nearly all pyrotechnic formulations.

• 2 weeks later...
Like Jakenbake said above, I have to buy my ammonium nitrate from cold packs since I am in Canada. The good news is there is a store that sells two brands for .59 cents each, one from Italy and one from China. Both cold packs are pure ammonium nitrate. I have never seen some so pure, so that is where I get all mine. Still at that price I am only getting 200 grams (approx.) with each one, but they let me buy as much as I like. You have to watch out for calcium ammonium nitrate. It has to be purified, and like stated above I am not going through the procedure. Also, some cold packs now have no ingredients on them, and those are usually the ones that have ures, Still cool for chemistry, but not for pyrotechnics. Just my 2 cents.

Around here cold pacs would be the only way to get it anymore. No one that i know of sells it any more.

Maybe introduce yourself at some point and let us know what experience you have with pyro.

Sorry -- valid concerns. Yes, I use AN for exploding rifle targets, but have seen unused ones go bad quickly when not protected from humidity, hence my query.

I post under this handle on scores of forums. Was active on the RogueSci explosives forums back when those were around. Came across this forum when searching for a balanced FP formula for July 4th. I hope to merit HE access and make this my home for that interest, which has become more academic than practical: I have a family and job that require me to use all my fingers, so I don't ever plan to mess with primaries!