APC Forum

my handmade show,3,4 5 6 and 8"fun....

fredhappy

I've recently shot this show. It was the end result of 3 months of hard work and testing. I did not get paid for this, it was a true labour of love for me.I ve put in loads of hours to achieve these few minutes of fireworks.

Every year a large party is held on a big farm. Tickets are sold, but only to break even, it has nothing to do with profit. The atmosphere is very relaxed, all the folks are friendly. Everyone wants to have a good time and chat a bit.

At 12 o clock midnight I shoot a small show every year. I love to be able to shoot for this kind of appreciative audience. They loved it, and I loved entertaining them .Hearing the oo's and aaahhhs is quite something, and receiving a big round of applause is very rewarding. 3 pyrofriends of mine were also present, it was very nice sharing the experience with them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctmljFjjsTY

Since last year all my stuff went up way too fast, I timed this show a bit slower. A tad too slow for my taste, but the audience loved the relatively slow paced way of shooting . I had one hangfire (8"stutata) , due to making a stupid mistake with my finale string timefuse. I corrected it and shot my last 8"manually.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XwmDXcuEW_c

finale 8" stutata.

All the round shells+stars were rolled and made by me.

There are 2 exceptions however. My good friend reporter ( APC nickname : canisterman ) made 2 truly great 4" salute ring canisters for me to add to my show. He also donated a jar full of lead based crackling cores. I've primed these cores with special prime, and tested them. They worked great. So i was able to incorporate a lot of crackling in my show. Crackling petals, colour to crackling and added crackling to mines. I am very pleased with the fact I ve got the crackling working and even having it timed.

For priming and formulaes I ve used the Spanish PDF extensively. Please keep in mind that it's not only the formulaes that are very good, but there is vitally important information in the text. Especially on priming techniques for hard to light stars such as strobe and crackling. I ve taken some private Spanish lessons to be able to understand the document a little bit better. These lessons greatly helped me. It was quite funny to show up on my first lesson with this document and have this Spanish lady read this document closely. Her facial expression was priceless..hehe.. Luckily she was from the Valencia region, so she understood my infatuation with fireworks... ;)

canisterman; My dear pyrofriend, thanks a million, it was great teaming up with you, I ve had a blast!!

Dear pyro colleages, all comments are appreciated. It took me quite a while to convert everything and add comments, I hope you guys like it a bit.

best

fred

ps: I ve used the fireworks preset on my HD cam. This setting gives me super sharp images, but terrible watered down colours. I will receive some more footage taken by others , I hope the colour changes are better to distinguish on that footage.

Edited by fredhappy
  • Like 2

Fred, you did a great job!

The two saturn shells were fantastic. The red/blue contrast was very well done,

and the crackle core shell was something new for me.

Very inspiring! I apologize for the formatting of this message, I am having some problems with posting, apparently.

amazing...!!

good job fredhappy...!!

Roger, amazing show, everything was spot on!! very nice round even breaks and the color changes were all simultaneous. loved the stutata shells. i have a 4" timed report and a scala 8 shell in the process right now :D oh and im going to have to make a saturn shell after seeing how great yours were. also i really loved all the crackle, thats something to put on my list for the future.

Fantastic work. ( great Stutas :) )

Too bad I missed it.

So many hours of work, and not a thought wasted on profit.

My greatest respect!

Next year I will definitely try to come :D

Greets

VP

Yeah it was really awesome. VP, btw, I thought you were German :P.

I send you my vid as well fredhappy, so it's up to you if you upload it here or not.

Edited by ExplosiveCoek

Wow.

There are a few here that I am learning from,you sir are one.

I have the PDF and can understand some of it but can only imagine the dedication needed to translate it. Hard breaks, good ignition , worth it.

Dan.

It was a amazing show, from both of you, very pleasing effects, it was a pleasure to watch.

I will send you the vid also, it can take some time.

What a great work,great shell,All is perfectly done,your stutata is particulary awesome...

It can be a stupid question but did you use a WASP or did you handpaste them?

Best regards

There is nothing I can add to those comments. The video quality really is a pity. I know though that tapes won´t forgive flaws in breaks, and yours seemed great. I would like to hear more about the finale stutata, the insert breaks seemed excellent.

As much as I see the benefits of the apertura break, it also results in much harder and louder breaks than the Shimizu approach I make use of. This may be dialed in using less booster, if it even is a point to correct. I personally dislike the salute-like performance of many display shells seen these days.

The mine colors seemed nice, especially the yellow. Is the lemon formula from the script?

Great work!

#all:thanks a lot for your comments, I really appreciate them!

#admiraldonsnider: I have to disagree on the shimizu approach. For me personally a very hard , loud break with a big spread adds to the overall experience. Apertura breaks give me this thunderous sound, yet the flower develops at medium speed as opposed to using 7/3 as a booster where the break is both loud and the flower develops very fast. I understand this is a matter of preference, but I really like apertura breaks. KP gives also very pleasing breaks, even for small calibers, but the amount of pasting needed is a big downside.

The yellow mine was indeed the formulae from the PDF. It was a batch of stars that I had rolled and primed with too much water, giving me issues with ignition when I used high speed breaks in shells. They did however work fine in mines. The have a bit of a "scatter"effect, due to the copious amounts of water I'd mistakenly used with that batch. I think some parts of the star are bound better then the other parts, giving them a bit of an autopropulsion

effect.

yvariro: all shells were handpasted. The stutatas were particularly loud since I'd used very fast MCRH to break them. This gave me both an excellent spread and a salute like break. For me the sound added to the stutata experience, since I'd timed them low. 6"stutatas were timed at about 1.2 seconds, 8"ers at 1.4. This is just fine for these type of shells.

Although google translate does help when translating documents, there is nothing better then having a native Spanish speaker read and interpret the document with you in a private lesson. There are some subtle hints that are not translated well with google translate. Also, I love Spanish, it is a beautiful language, so I can recommend taking some private lessons and brushing up on your linguistic skills... ^_^ ..

It was a very nice weekend Fred,,

A lot of work for three minutes fun !

But that's our love for pyro

Next year we make a bigger show.

I am now making a 5" Cannister shel with four rings reports.

When that's going well, i want to make a two break 5" Cannister.

Nice for next year.

Btw.....In a view weeks i will roll a few kilo's of crackling cores.

Edited by CANISTERMAN

:excl:This video has been removed by the user. :excl:

:(

Edited by Hoppy

Please do not get me wrong, but posting on APC it always a mild disapointment for me . After putting in a lot of effort converting the files, adding the discriptions, trying to make a nice post and checking the text multiple times, very few people leave a comment. Only about 8 people graced themselves by leaving a comment. The other comments were made by people who were present.

My vid got about 390+ views on youtube.

I ask the "forum greats" and all the other readers: what's the use for me to make all the effort and post my stuff here when virtually nobody leaves a comment?? I get no joy from entertaining a silent legion of viewers. When someone here uploads a vid that is of good quality and of interesting content, I always try to encourage them and am gratefull for the upload. I believe in positive encouragement. Vids and pictures keep this forum interesting..not the endless threads of opinions imo.

Sorry for my whining guys, I mean no offence. My thanks to the colleagues who did leave a comment,

I'll put up the clips again. heck..I'll even throw in a bonus in the form of another clip of an 8" stutata that wasn't ignited by the finale string timefuse and that I'd fired manually..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_XPnaUIkjA

whole show

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ck6UkH437A

last 8"stutata

• Like 2

I understand what you mean, fred.

And once again, very nice shells :D

Greets

Great show, excellent shells... I'd be ecstatic if I got 400 views in 3 days! Instead of being so conceited, make the videos public and leave them up for longer, perhaps then you'd have had more feedback. Look at VikingPyrotechnics' channel, 750 subscribers and over 50,000 views!

I look forward to seeing more in the future, keep it up!

Btw.....In a view weeks i will roll a few kilo's of crackling cores.

Great, please could you share your formula/techniques for rolling these?

The formula's all have been mentioned before, just look at the Spanish PDF ;). It's much more valuable than for instance passfire's entire formula database (which has a lot of crap actually). But I have the idea that, since it's not in English or written by an American like Ned Gorski or some other guy on passfire, it's not valuable and nobody gives a fuck. You really have to think outside the box sometimes..

I do understand fredhappy's criticism. For me, too, I've uploaded sometimes stuff and nobody cares about it. This crackling comp, I've already posted about it (working, with vid etc) an entire year ago.

Here some extra tigertail was used as delay.

I've a vid about some way we used to make the crackling, it was based on bismuth in that vid.

again, nobody gave a shit and you start wondering if you should still post you creations on the web ;). In this vid we used steel cores with NC laquer thinned with acetone. You can also granulate the crackling, this is more commonly done in the professional business.

So well, just had to vent this a little. Also a problem we have in our country is that our hobby is illegal. So we try not to publish things too much 'in public', and sometimes delete our videos.

I've tried the Parlon prime in the Spanish PDF which you brought to my attention, but I didn't have much success with it unfortunately. I really don't like rolling with acetone or NC as I usually end up with a sticky mess, but if it works for you that's great. I just wanted another perspective that's all...
  • Like 1

I am always very happy about any video that is posted. :)

And I know the problem with fireworks in certain countries. <_<

Greets

VP

pyrophury; thanks for your feedback. Please understand, I am not conceited or anything, it is just not very encouraging to put in a lot of time to try and make a nice , decent post on this forum with some nice HD footage, only to be largely ingnored by the majority of people on APC.

Everyone reads it, sees the footage, but no one leaves a comment. I am not looking for compliments or something, but I enjoy a nice on topic discussion in regard to pyrotechnics and what I ve made, filmed , categorized and uploaded on this forum to share with my colleagues from all over the world.. Yet his never seems to materialize for some reason. I am just wondering why this happens, nothing more than that.

As someone pointed out earlier, I am in a different hemisphere, so I have to take into account other laws than my US colleagues have to abide to . So posting stuff openly on youtube is not something I aspire.

Again, I mean well, I ty to contibute to this board by posting footage of my stuff. I only post a reply when I know for certain I can contribute to a thread. I don't rack up 2000+ mostly nonsense replies , I try to share my footage and always hope for a nice discussion. This has nothing to do with any arrogance or something, I just like to share my creations. But entertaining a silent community isn't very encouraging, and I'll stop making the effort if this continues.

What problems did you have with the parlon prime from the PDF pyrophury?? How was the prime called in the PDF?? perhaps I can help.

Edited by fredhappy