APC Forum

Ideas for deburring lead media

AdmiralDonSnider

I have cast my own hardened lead media (10% antimony) using moulds that allow me cast multiple balls, but which leave quite a residue on the balls, which has to be removed somehow.

Here you can see the media: http://www.amateurpy...d-media-moulds/

Do you have any ideas how to deburr the balls best? With soft lead I would just follow the suggestions of fellows and let it deburr themselves in the mill, but that won´t happen with hardened lead. But deburring every single ball seems tedious. I will take the effort, but want to do it the fastest possible way. Any ideas?

Edited by AdmiralDonSnider

Since they are already cast, cut flush the sharpest sprues and let them deburr in the drum without chems. I don't believe the remaining high spots at the circumference will be a problem during milling.

I cut mine out with scissors, squeezed each one with pliers.

After a few hours milling they are round enough.

I had the time but you also need the forearms :)

Dan.

If they got sharp eges or spike points, run em in the mill with normal sand, to smoothen these out, the run a couple hours witchout sand or any chems and then maybe again with some sand to make sure everything is smooth.

If they aren`t 100% round, that doesn`t matter, the ball mill will do this over time. There aresome applications where pyramides or short round rods are used in a ball mill. They get round after some time

I bet they'll still round out in the mill

Yup! I have some in the mill right now as we speak...not my mill since you know I dont have a yard...but they are rounding out after many hours...