APC Forum

New ball mill jar - tell me what you think

Maserface

gonna take a lot of media! ;)

Oh my god...!!

man that's gonna suck to empty, fill, use, live near, drive... um yeah

lead basketballs for media?

• Like 1

I like your thinkin with basketballs, I was thinking to use harbor freight mills as media :P
  • Like 1

This may sound really dumb, but do they make commercial Black Powder this way? ( as in a massive ball mill )

I believe that a small amount of black powder manufactures do use large ball mills, however I believe that most use wheel mills.

If somebody did use a mill this large would you use large media or stay with something no bigger then 1 inch?

bob

Most of the commercial plants I'm aware of, as Bob said, use wheel mills. They do have large ball mills to pre-grind all the chemicals though. Wheel mills don't really do any crushing. It's more of an extended compressing and kneeding action.

Large mills do use somewhat larger media, but it does not scale. It's probably only a few inches at most in diameter. There are plenty of technical ball milling texts out there if you're more interested.

Biggest cost is obviously the media if you were to do a ball mill like that. I did some vocational work for a gold mining organisation and my jaw dropped to the ground when I actually got to see the enormity of their processing plant with my own two eyes... It's just crazy how large scale everything is.

Of course, processing ore is a much quicker and harsher wear on the media compared to black powder and obviously not a plastic jar, but I was still surprised to find out the steel media they used ranked in the top 5 costs of their operation and their frequent replacement.

Also reminds me of how some old chemists working at a paint factory would throw their tools into the ball mill back in the day for work hardening, until their boss found out...