APC Forum

Beginners .22 LR

TheEskimo

So I've been thinking it's about time for me to get a gun. I've got my eyes set on either a Ruger 10/22, or the M&P 15-22. I'm stuck on which one, as the Ruger is cheaper, has a long history, and is really replaceable(tons of aftermarket parts). On the other hand, the M&P looks cool, has rave reviews, and I feel like it would provide a stepping stone if I wanted to move up to larger calibers. I'm leaning towards the M&P, but I would appreciate any comments. Keep in mind this would be my first gun, and I'm limited by a college student's budget. I do live in rural PA, so I'm not constricted unlike other states. I am sticking wiht .22, as it's fairly quiet, low recoil, and cheap.

Go with the Ruger 10/22 for your first. Just like a small block chevy or a 1911, everyone makes parts and accessories for it. I've put thousands of rounds through several models and never had any problems. The M&P is a nice platform as well, and if you are looking for a training tool for an AR in the future it may be a better option. Other than that the Ruger is more fun ( and bang ) for the buck. Either way you go, learn and practice fundamentals to make every shot count.

The Ruger is a great gun. I prefer lever action over semi auto in a .22 though, so I've got a Henry. A friend of mine has another lever action that I believe is a Browning or Marlin with a hex barrel that's just about dead silent. You can hear the bullet whistling through the air over the quiet pop of it firing. I'll have to find out exactly what brand that was because I'd like one of them too.

My first gun is a 10/22 great rifle which offers a lot of customization ( if you are into that) also incredibly accurate. im splitting playing cards at 30 - 50 yards all the time.There are several chassis upgrades for the 10/22 including several AR-15 styles, Scar, P90 as well as super nice target stocks. there are also lots of barrel upgrades to improve weight or accuracy. The M&P will offer the already AR-15 style which you can toss on all your standard gear onto however there are less changeable internals so far.. this may change if they get super popular and they have their own magazines.. I'm a huge accuracy nut so ill point out that both guns come with a trigger pull of ~7.0 lbs. i know the 10/22 has a bunch of offerings for customizing the trigger for a reasonable price. I don't know much about the trigger options of the M&P but i know you can not use the standard AR-15 trigger groups. Both are super reliable from what ive experienced but id still go with the 10/22 with a 40 year proven track record over the M&P any day.

Here is the one i built up.

http://puu.sh/3may3.jpg

Standard 10/22 receiver and bolt. (im planning on getting a Kidd Bolt and extended charging handle some time in the future)

Tactical solutions chrome lined aluminum heavy barrel

Hornet Red Baron Trigger assembly Trigger pull ~2.5 lbs.

Troy T-22 chasis with alpha rail and battle sights.

Modified A2 grip

Tactical solutions V block

UTG Swat 3 compact 3x12 44mm scope.

or AIm Fixed 4x30mm scope

or Barska Red Dot.

Without the scope the entire gun weighs about 5.2 lbs. with the 3x12 scope is about 6.8 lbs. with the 4x30mm scope is about 5.9 lbs. with Red dot ~5.6 lbs

my favorite project gun by far!.. i get AR-15 enthusiasts drooling over it and wanting to build one their selves.

If you have your heart set on having an AR-15 style gun or AR-15 Training gun, the M&P is definitely more AR-15 like with the same charging handle, mag release, and safety.

if the functions aren't as important to you then it would come down to price...

M&P will run you around $500

10/22 will run you around $250 + ~$250-270 for the T-22 chassis. there are other chassis such as the arch angel and such but none are quite as nice as the T-22 IMO.

Keep in mind that a fully decked out build like mine will run you easily around $800-1200

I cant offer much info on the take down and cleaning of the M&P but it seems to be the same as an AR-15 so should be super simple.. 10/22 with the T-22 chassis requires 2 different Allen wrenches..

Final thoughts i would still go with the 10/22 with a lot more offerings in customization for looks, function and accuracy.. i think theres even a Full Auto mod for those Type 3 license holders. and is simplicity i also believe that the 10/22 offers a LOT more in accuracy as well..

The M&P is a perfect AR-15 mock up in .22 LR customization with most standard AR-15 accessories (but not so much with internal upgrades which are the main accuracy changers) M&P will be a great AR-15 training gun but will be less accurate in comparison.. a great pinking gun none the less..

im a huge AR-15 fan and own several already but i still love the look and feel of my 10/22 over the M&P..I run 3 Gun all the time.. and i know its the cheaters way out but ill have way more gun with my 10/22 rather than with my AR-15 any day.

Edited by CrossOut

Concur with everyone else...go with the 10/22. Lots of accessories available.

If you frequent any gunshows and you like a bit of history, check out the Mossberg line of .22's. Been collecting them for a few years now, both semiautos and bolt action.

Edited by Bobosan

I prefer the Ruger 10/22. Great gun. Lots of customization parts. Relatively cheap to shoot. I'll post a pic in a little while of mine.

Alright, thanks for the input. I'm gonna mosey around some local stores, and see what they have in stock.

I would also consider the availability and price of magazines, for both firearms. I have found the few extra dollars for stainless, over blued firearms. was well worth the investment. The 10/22 is available in stainless. Bull or target barrels are available for the 10/22, in both blue and stainless. The 10/22 reciever is grooved, for scope rings. Edited by Zingy

Took me a little bit but I finally got around to uploading a picture of mine. It no longer has that little crank thingy on the trigger.

MODS are a Dragonov style stock, a bipod, flash hider, an extended mag release, and various size/shape mags. I do normally keep a small scope on it just for plinking or the occasional varmit.

http://i967.photobucket.com/albums/ae157/AlienInferno/Guns/Ruger1022.jpg

Ah you guys forgot about some of the best .22 ever made the Winchester model 52,69,69a and the 75. When you think about it they can be had sometimes for a great deal from local Sellers or gun shows you wont find anything like it for the price and its a Winchester so it will only go up in value. P.s. Dony forget that .22 ammo is the most souhht after ammo right now and kinda hard for some to get.

Ah you guys forgot about some of the best .22 ever made the Winchester model 52,69,69a and the 75. When you think about it they can be had sometimes for a great deal from local Sellers or gun shows you wont find anything like it for the price and its a Winchester so it will only go up in value. P.s. Dony forget that .22 ammo is the most souhht after ammo right now and kinda hard for some to get.

That's true, but it won't be forever. It's just sought after because it's cheap and people are afraid ammo is going to be made illegal tomorrow. Day by day less people are finding it worth while to blow their paychecks to buy out the shelves. Supplies are already on the turn around and a lot of shops in my area have been able to get orders in for ammo that was totally unavailable a few months ago. .22 ammo is going to be available in the US still yet for years and years and years. Even if ammo does start getting banned (which it won't, not soon anyway) .22 will be the last to go. Either people will stop going crazy over it in that time or suppliers will pick up production.

Edited by NightHawkInLight

Took me a little bit but I finally got around to uploading a picture of mine. It no longer has that little crank thingy on the trigger.

MODS are a Dragonov style stock, a bipod, flash hider, an extended mag release, and various size/shape mags. I do normally keep a small scope on it just for plinking or the occasional varmit.

http://i967.photobucket.com/albums/ae157/AlienInferno/Guns/Ruger1022.jpg

What stock kit is that?

The 10/22 reciever is grooved, for scope rings.

No it isn't. Some models have rails installed from the factory, and some third party receivers include integrated rails but the standard ruger receiver is only drilled and tapped.

What stock kit is that?

I really don't remember. I bought it back in 2004-2005. I think. You can search for Ruger 10/22 Dragonov stock and find it pretty easily. I think it was the "ATI Ruger 10/22 Fiberforce Stock". Nothing was really a "kit" as I bought every component seperatly. I might be missunderstanding you a bit though.

Edited by JFeve81

No it isn't. Some models have rails installed from the factory, and some third party receivers include integrated rails but the standard ruger receiver is only drilled and tapped.

Agreed. Mine came with the scope mounting plate but I had to install it myself. It's not hard. Just take out a couple crews, align the plate, and reinstall with the longer screws it came with.