APC Forum

Lactose Replacement

speditty

hey, I need something to replace lactose as fuel for blue stars in the rubber rainbow stars because I don't know what stores sell that. Is there anything I can replace it with for fuel, other than hexamine? would sulfur work if I changed how much of it goes in to replace lactose? or anyway to make lactose? haven't put any research into that yet but I'm almost positive its in milk and could possibly be extracted from the milk. Any advice on any of this would be great! and the composition for blue star I am making is from Ned Gorski's rainbow rubber stars:

Potassium Perchlorate 0.63 Copper Carbonate 0.12 Parlon 0.15 Red Gum 0.05 Lactose 0.05

See if you have a beer and wine supply store in town. If it is of any size you probably do. They should have lactose for 4 or 5 bucks a pound. You can also pick up some rice hulls while there. You could probably replace it with sulfur or maybe powdered sugar. Or red gum or phenolic resin.

I have replaced Red Gum with Lactose in one blue comp and it worked pretty well. So I guess you can replace lactose with Red Gum, but colour may be not deep. I'm not sure.

thank you I will see if I have wine store here I mean we have liquor store that sell beer and wine and city has pop of 30,000 so it should have what your talking about. and I will try replacing it with red gum or sulfur first. Thanks!

Yeah it will be a store for people who make their own. It is a fairly popular hobby so you most likely have one and should be in the phone book.

hey, I need something to replace lactose as fuel for blue stars in the rubber rainbow stars because I don't know what stores sell that. Is there anything I can replace it with for fuel, other than hexamine? would sulfur work if I changed how much of it goes in to replace lactose? or anyway to make lactose? haven't put any research into that yet but I'm almost positive its in milk and could possibly be extracted from the milk. Any advice on any of this would be great! and the composition for blue star I am making is from Ned Gorski's rainbow rubber stars:

Potassium Perchlorate 0.63 Copper Carbonate 0.12 Parlon 0.15 Red Gum 0.05 Lactose 0.05

You may be able to find it in a Health Food store. Some large suppliers of food supplements will usually carry it in bulk. Another possible source would be agricultural feed stores for livestock.

It's milk sugar and if you try to extract it from milk, non-fat or skim milk has it in higher concentrations.

Good luck.

WSM B)

You may be able to find it in a Health Food store. Some large suppliers of food supplements will usually carry it in bulk. Another possible source would be agricultural feed stores for livestock.

It's milk sugar and if you try to extract it from milk, non-fat or skim milk has it in higher concentrations.

Good luck.

WSM B)

Come to think of it, I've wondered if you could use nonfat dry powdered milk as a substitute? Probably not with chlorates (prone to becoming acidic if it goes south) unless in smoke compositions with bicarbonate added, but maybe with other things. Hmmm... :rolleyes:

WSM B)

It might be worth experimenting. Dried skimmed milk is about 50% lactose. 35% is casein, a protein, which is not a bad binding agent. The remainder is non-flammable mineral salts.

Would it be possible to remove a decent percent of the non-flammable mineral salts by adding small amount of distilled water to the dried skim milk and the mineral salts should mostly dissolve while the lactose and casein will only dissolve slightly. then filtering it the solution that was removed should contain a majority of the mineral salts in theory if it would work the way I see it working? possibly worth looking into.

I sort of doubt if you'd be able to preferentially dissolve the salts over the lactose. While not nearly as soluble as sucrose, lactose still has appreciable solubility in water (around 200g/L)

So you didn't find a brew shop? For 4 bucks a pound it isn't worth messing with the wrong thing that is similar in cost, for me at least.