APC Forum

Magnesium powder bats

kleberrios

Magnesium powder very thin and responsive, ideal for firestarter, flashpowder, air burst, ground flash color,and colored reports... The bat is not flammable, only when it is shaved ...In other words, I found a way to commercialize super thin and reactive magnesium powder with no risks of transport, because it just turns into combustible dust after scraping hehe

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JhWqiw_etCY

Am I missing something? How does this differ from the magnesium fire starters sold as a camping supply? I assume that it's a compressed powder instead of a solid block, but it still looks like it requires the same effort to scrape. Not trying to be condescending, just trying to understand. Thanks.

You guessed it. Mg is a pressed powder. Except for scraping stress is minimal compared to the solid metal. If you do not know until the firestarter is a powder comprised of Cerium Iron, Titanium, all sintered. The difference between this bat is that it is Mg superfine when shaved, so I added Barium Nitrate for you to see that he is very strong. If you mix barium nitrate in the Mg metal shavings may not burn as dust is coarse and off soon ..

I used 2 ton to press the stick, but the powder is a special that does not solidify when pressed and keeps it cohesive without dismantling. If crush powder Mg common gable or will he or will dismantling ...

And is not flammable. Imagine if a spark gets this bag Mg ..

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p5197.m570.l1311.R5.TR11.TRC1&_nkw=magnesium+shavings&_sacat=0&_from=R40

This type of Mg has great power shift without producing much smoke, just mixed with Barium Nitrate and Titanium. Burning it is very elastic throwing grains of Ti at a great distance.Ideal for air burst, colorful shots, flash floor e openings crossets

Only a dash was used in the test.

That is pretty cool if you need small amounts of magnesium powder. I wouldn't want to have to make a lot of composition unless there is a faster way to powder it. What happens if you crush it with a press? Or could you use a binder and then soak them in something like acetone or white gas to turn them back to a powder?

With the blocks sold for camping you have to cut it more than scrape it. Dulls your knife and makes big pieces compared to the powder in the cylinders.

Also, I hate to see barium nitrate used like that where it is being spread around a closed room. Soluble barium salts can be quite poisonous.

That is pretty cool if you need small amounts of magnesium powder. I wouldn't want to have to make a lot of composition unless there is a faster way to powder it. What happens if you crush it with a press? Or could you use a binder and then soak them in something like acetone or white gas to turn them back to a powder?

With the blocks sold for camping you have to cut it more than scrape it. Dulls your knife and makes big pieces compared to the powder in the cylinders.

Also, I hate to see barium nitrate used like that where it is being spread around a closed room. Soluble barium salts can be quite poisonous.

The fact of using batons pinched magnesium firestarter would be just as it is much easier to be scraped, take up little space, and there is the danger of accidents, and it would be free shipping by not flammable ..

Really Barium Nitrate is very dangerous but the amount burned is negligible and there is a garage and has ventilation at the door, but avoid exposing myself to the fullest, I will switch to using strontium nitrate in my tests. On the way here just post another video of a deep red strobe done with this Magnesium, using strontium sulfate, NC only. Maybe open another topic.

Ah! to transform it into powder again just grinds it with a roll of wood or wooden pestle.

I had the idea of ​​using this Mg prenssado to be more active since I saw magnesium metal zest does not keep the fire for a long time besides being a hard scraping

Edited by kleberrios

Damn. I'd be pissed if I bought a Mg firestarter that wouldn't ignite. Do you suppose that is actually even Mg? Different density and combustibility would make me think it's not.

Magnesium metal is one with respect to density, which may vary over the alloy is aluminum or less aluminum. The less Al easier to shave as the more Al is harder league. An example is the 5050 Magnálio that is so hard that is glassy and brittle, magnálium 7030 is tough and you can not shave. Magnesium is pure my video however is not cast but a pressed powder that is easy scraped (10 times easier) than the Mg melt. The innovation of bats is that it can be traded without restrictions by not being flammable and turns it into powder is very easy ...

I just want to clarify that I wasn't being negative about your idea. I think it is great, especially if there is a quick way to powder it.

And I just don't want you to get sick from the barium which is why I mentioned it. Strontium would be better or a potassium based oxidizer. Can you get potassium perchlorate down there?

Thanks!

Damn. I'd be pissed if I bought a Mg firestarter that wouldn't ignite. Do you suppose that is actually even Mg? Different density and combustibility would make me think it's not.

That chinese stuff looks like just Aluminum with maybe 1% magnesium, which won't even burn with a blowtorch.

I just want to clarify that I wasn't being negative about your idea. I think it is great, especially if there is a quick way to powder it.

And I just don't want you to get sick from the barium which is why I mentioned it. Strontium would be better or a potassium based oxidizer. Can you get potassium perchlorate down there?

Thanks!

Perchlorate and chlorate Potassium is much stronger burning, only makes more smoke. Strontium nitrate has the same burning speed but is hygroscopic, Potassium Nitrate is somewhat weaker and more make a little smoke ...