APC Forum

trails on stars

eb11

i tested some yellow and green parlon stars that i made and i get these long streamers from the stars is that because of the hot prime that i am using. i loaded a video so you can see the trails
Edited by eb11

The tails you see are likely from the prime burning off, are these the "rubber stars" from skylighter?

yes they are the rubber stars from skylighter. i dont have those tails on my blue and violet stars so i want to try and clean them up Edited by eb11

Some of the tail might just be from the fact that they're parlon bound. That method can tend to leave sort of ugly distracting tails in my opinion. You get the same thing with water bound stars if you don't screen out the coarse parlon.

what do you suggest i do to try and clean them up i dont have this issue with the blues and violets as you saw its the stars with magnalium i have an issue with.

i just read through alot of threads for parlon stars and i and seing acetone is being used i have been using alcohol instead is this a problem

Edited by eb11

If you get this on only some stars but not other colours, then if you used the same priming it won't be that.

Can you provide us with the formulas you used including how you processed them, and critically, particle size of materials, especially the MgAl.

Alcohol pretty much won't activate the parlon (using common alcohols at least), but nor should it create a tail like this.

i am using the skylighter formulas mgal is -325

the mgal is not used on the blue and violet stars and those are fine

here is a video of the blue stars

Edited by eb11