APC Forum

Flash Tests & Question

xJaayy

Standard 70/30 flash will not ignite from hot glue itself but as others have stated glue guns have and do short out more often than you would think. If it shorts out and sprays sparks into that flash you will be in a world of hurt. Unplug or use a power strip if you are using a corded glue gun to work around any type of energetic compound. Flash will probably hurt you worst but stars and BP can be just as deadly.

Just use paper plugs if you are going to make salutes. Even though as I stated above some others have used them, It's best to protect yourself and your audience from getting hit with anything. If used safely I feel there is nothing wrong with small reports. Never put them in hard containers like metal cans or plastic/glass jars. Shoot them on concrete or a large stone. Do not shoot them on gravel. They will throw gravel at speeds that will make that glue plug feel like a feather hitting you. Wood is also not a good idea. We have split 2x4's with the small ones, and grass/dirt/sand muffles the sound and pisses off the owner of the lawn, besides throwing dirt and sand at people.

I'm not going to be one of the people that tells you not to use these but be safe with them. Keeping them from exploding in your hands is not the only safety measure. Shrapnel and flying debris is also a hazard to the shooter and the viewer. As a pyro you should always consider the safety of you audience above yours. After all you are choosing to put yourself in harms way, so protect them first.

Crackers are not my thing, but I wouldn't be the guy that ruins someone else's fun. I would rather they be suspended than trying to fill in divots in the dark. A few years ago I was picking out bits of gravel from my legs for a few days when some salutes from a candle ended up on the ground. It was not fun and if you can avoid it with a frame to hang them or a concrete drive, please do.