APC Forum

TiH2 fuel

brimstoned

This rocket utilizes an 8 oz tube. The nozzle is formed on a two-inch brass spindle, 3/16s, formed of bentonite and 3% paraffin (baked and screened), pressed in an A-framed hydraulic @ about 4 tons.

The fuel consists of 71.5% KNO3, 19% TiH2, and 9.5% S; KNO3 + S is ball-milled for 30 min and then screened with TiH2.

Two 7-gram increments are loaded with a brass 5/8" hollow ram, the final 5-gram increment pressed in with a hardwood dowel. Total grain and nozzle length is 2.5"; the remainder of the tube contains a header consisting of 3 gm green slow flash with granular Ti.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1m7KA_BJC8

post-13400-0-08765200-1370876302_thumb.jpg

Edited by brimstoned

Nice! Is this the stuff Skylighter has been pushing lately? I like how you anticipated a much faster take off with the camera. :D

Am I reading your post correctly? The motor is just 3 increments of fuel after the nozzle?

Any night time shots? I'd love to see that Ti trail and that green flash at night!

Yes that's the stuff Skylighter has been giving away...

I've tried several different percentages, but the bright, slow takeoff is charteristic of all of them.

The vid is the leanest formula, I went up to 54% TiH2 and the takeoff was almost too bright too look at, didn't go very high though.

Right now I'm using a 70/30/10 mixture; seems to be the best of brightness and altitude.

Yup, just three increments, takes up a little less than one-half the tube length.

I'm working on a bunch for the 4th...hope to get some good video then!

Is there a video, I'm not seeing one?

There is a YouTube link...