APC Forum

parlon stars

eb11

quick question what determins the burn rate of a parlon star. this is what i am using for a red star i took out the magnalium and increased the perc to .6 but there was no color i forgot about the lactose but i think that would have given me a bluer red i am guessing. when i took out the magnalium the star burned alot longer so any help is appretiated

ComponentRed

Potassium perchlorate 0.3 Magnalium 0.3 Strontium carbonate 0.2 Calcium carbonate Barium carbonate Copper carbonate Parlon 0.15 Red gum 0.05 Lactose 0.05 0.05 0.05

Edited by eb11

I believe the correct formula is

30% KP

30% MG/AL 100 mesh

20% carbonate of your choice for color

12% parlon

04% red gum

04% dextrin - binder

You don't have a binder listed above, lactose is not a binder.

Like Algenco said put the Mg/Al back in, it will not burn hot enough to produce a good red without the Mg/Al. The reason its burning slow is because you removed a large portion of the fuel value, and replaced it with an oxidizer. Hotter burning fuel - faster burning star, to a point.

Surgars ( lactose ) tend to burn red, not blue. Lactose is used as a cooler burning fuel in some blue formulas.

Edited by Carbon796

You doubled the oxidizer. I would say you're lucky it burnt at all. You can't just omit some chemicals and double others in a formula and expect it to work. And leaving out lactose wouldn't make it more blue. It just has less fuel now.

I would say stick to the formula and get it working then make some changes if you want to try and improve it. But you need to have an idea of what a change will do which it doesn't seem you do.

i cut open one of the original stars that i did with skylighters red formula looks as though they are not cured yet.

flamtnbkr i did not appreciate you saying i dont know what i am doing i quess you know everything and never have to ask questions. next time dont post to my questions there are alot of other people in here that have answered my questions and i will listen to them!

Edited by eb11