APC Forum

Practical uses for ozone

oldmanbeefjerky

hi,

ive been selling spark gap ignitors for quite a long time now on ebay, and just recently, i noticed that when an arc isnt striking, that is to say, i have streamers (where you hear fuzzy static at either wire as power is forced through the air, ionizing it), i smell allot of ozone immediately. i also discovered the ignitors i sell are made by an ozone generator manufacturing company, and that the ignitors in effect are designed for low cost ozone generators.

now, on wikipedia i discovered ozones oxdizing properties at room tempurature could prove quite useful.

see, im in australia, and over here, ammonium nitrate is next to impossible to get, ammonia gas on the other hand can be aquired readily from cloudy ammonia.

apparently ozone at room temp will oxodize ammonia gas into ammonium nitrate crystals, which i found quite intruiging. It may not be practical, but ide like to try making ammonium nitrate with ozone gas, and i was wondering, how would i set up such a reaction cell? i can easily go get a 5w solar panel for like $20 from jaycar, and run the ignitor for free off solar energy, where i live the atmosphere is very thin, so we get scorching hot sun with freezing cold wind. because of the heat generated by sunlight on your body here, the temp difference between shade and out in the open is around 15 degrees and 30 degrees respectively.

Anyway, i want to give this a go, as an experiment. i dont intend to get a useable quantity, but i do expect after a few days at least something which i can do a burn test with at least.

Next, sulfuric acid. again, difficult, though not impossible to come by in australia. however its always expensive, elemental sulfur on the other hand is becoming more and more readily available. i can buy mine for about $30 for 3-5kg from a pet supplies store.

Now, to make sulfuric acid, out of ozone, apparently ozone being in contact with water and elemental sulfur , or ozone, sulfor dioxide and water vapours all being together, will form sulfuric acid.

again, can anyone recomend any cell setups which i can use to free farm the product by simply leaving it alone for a while? or would it be enough to just bubble ozone through water mixed with elemental sulfur?

ive suddenly become very interested in home use ozone applications even if its slow ad inneficient, i sill would like to try these things, and maybe step up a big and use more efficient ozone generators.

does anyone else think its a good idea? and does anyone know of the most profficient ways to react ozone with ammonia or ozone with sulfur and water to make sulfuric acid?

thanks

------- Edited by Oinikis

To me, what you said old man, didnt make any sens.

http://i.stack.imgur.com/jiFfM.jpg

• Like 1

ooh, BTW , why do you need Ammonium Nitrate.?

i dont, its more of an experiment to see how much i can make in a week supplied by free solar energy.

Though if i can make allot ide use it to make more nitric acid.

Also i dont understand the facepalm, my request is quite reasonable, im asking for suitable cell designs and any information on the possible effectiveness of the idea.

Ozone is some freaky stuff. When I was heavy into reef aquariums I dabbled with ozone generators and ORP. So I know of home uses for ozone in the aspect of serious reefers. Even very large commercial aquariums utilize ozone. You can always reverse engineer one of these generators to see how they do it. Of course there are many other manufacturers to choose from.

http://www.aquacave.com/Red-Sea-AquaZone-Deluxe-50-mghr-ozonizer-P1709.aspx

FYI: This is why I have the "265" in my ID. The biggest production aquarium that you can buy is a 265 gallon tank. At least it was when I got out of the hobby. Hence Mark's 265 gallon reef tank.

Maybe this helps OMBJ????

Mark

Ozone is horrid stuff. Basically it kills life. In small quantities and proportions it kills small life first -hence ozone used as a sanitiser in small doses and small concentrations.

Should you have sufficient sun and time look at solar power for a bucket cell for chlorate -but it needs running during the day and the electrodes washing in water for the night

There was a Norwegian process (They have lots of hydro electricity) for making nitrate from arcs in air.

does anyone else think its a good idea? and does anyone know of the most profficient ways to react ozone with ammonia or ozone with sulfur and water to make sulfuric acid?

I thought the title of this thread was PRACTICAL uses for ozone?

So far I haven't used sulphuric acid for pyro. I would like a back-up supply of nitrate. Without a stable full of horses it seems that chlorate is accessible independently but nitrate seems to need plant too huge for DIY.

Leave Ozone in the upper stratosphere where it belong... they're bad everywhere else.

• 3 months later...
Agree with Arthur and taiwanluthiers, ozone is dangerous. It's a very effective nonselective biocide. A high output ozone generator is used to annihilate any living thing in a room or small building; it's useful for eliminating bacteria, mold, insects (roaches, bedbugs, fruitflies), spiders, snakes, rodents , in-laws, and other vermin. Edited by hindsight