APC Forum

Wolter Premium Spolette kit

AdmiralDonSnider

Purchased a 5/16" Wolter premium spolette kit from a pyro buddy. It consists of several parts, two narrow rammers as well as four other parts which I am not sure what they are for. One seems to be a ramming base, another obviously is a sleeve.

What confuses me most is the huge diameter difference between the rammer OD and the base/sleeve size. It only would make sense if one uses tubes much more thickwalled than proposed by Fulcanelli.

The tool is seen here: http://www.pyrobin.com/files/DSC09263.JPG

Could anyone explain this to me please...

Thank you!

I'm not sure what the diameters are, but I more or less know what those are for. Also, the tooling is sized to tubing from a US supplier. Their tubes are either .5" OD or .6875" OD (11/16"). These are the sizes recommended in fulcanelli. Well, Fulcanelli recommends 0.55" OD tubes for the small shells, but it's close.

The two rammers are fairly self explanatory. One makes a flat surface, one makes a concave surface.

The base is the base. You may also notice a bump in there, which I never really cared for, but is allegedly supposed to make it easier to light.

The thicker rammer looking thing I believe is intended to press the tube out of the support sleeve.

I'm not used to seeing that thinner tube. Does it by any chance fit inside the bigger sleeve? My best guess would be that it is intended to handle two sizes of tubes, and that a liner is used to handle the smaller tube.

I'm not sure what the diameters are, but I more or less know what those are for. Also, the tooling is sized to tubing from a US supplier. Their tubes are either .5" OD or .6875" OD (11/16"). These are the sizes recommended in fulcanelli. Well, Fulcanelli recommends 0.55" OD tubes for the small shells, but it's close.

The two rammers are fairly self explanatory. One makes a flat surface, one makes a concave surface.

The base is the base. You may also notice a bump in there, which I never really cared for, but is allegedly supposed to make it easier to light.

The thicker rammer looking thing I believe is intended to press the tube out of the support sleeve.

I'm not used to seeing that thinner tube. Does it by any chance fit inside the bigger sleeve? My best guess would be that it is intended to handle two sizes of tubes, and that a liner is used to handle the smaller tube.

You are speaking well, I used high quality spoulette tubes from Precocious Pyrotechnics Pyro, he bought this set from me and I sent him description.

You really just need a rammer that fit's your tube, and something solid to ram on. I don't think you will even have $1 in the actual tooling. Works just fine, you don't need any kind of special tooling.

Of course that is just the basics, if you want to get elaborate, pressing and multi spolettes at once, things will be different.

I see how it works now. The thin tube is the sleeve used for the casing when it is rammed.

I was irritated by the huge tube diameter. Fulcanelli suggests such large tubes, I was mistaken. I only remembered the small 1/4" size and based my thoughts on this.

Thanks everyone for the help!