APC Forum

Crossette Pumps!

TheArchitect23

Im thinking of machining a few crossette pumps, inspired by Viking's rockets i think small pumps would be useful.

Maybe 3/8 1/2 and 5/8 3/4?

Would these sizes be to small? as each would be devided into 4 as the break shatters them, they should be smaller - thus burn faster. 1'' = 4X 1/4 stars = 100 ft break is no issue?

Thinking along the lines of cake inserts, 2'' shells, and rocket headings.

Anyone out there have a pump in the smaller range, and some calipers to messure the dimentions?

im looking for the dimentions of the cross in proportion to the shaft size in the sleve.

* google search works better than the forum search, again. mumbles has posted dimentions for a 3/4 pump i will try tonight.

apparently the pin thickness and length if for fuse. learn something everyday. lol

Edited by TheArchitect23

Glad you found the dimensions. The general ratios are more or less constant. The bigger commercial tooling sets seem to get a little smaller on the ratio with increasing size. The tooling itself is not terribly critical, it's just a matter of making what you have work. I will say that the smaller the crossette, the harder they are to make work properly.

well, i tried a demo pump today.

not to focused on the dimentions. they are 15% smaller than the post i found by mumbles.

I then realized i had the cross pattern backwards :whistle:

but thats okay, i can easily trim it back up. curious if it would work well for slower comps?

post-11311-0-45612900-1370322628_thumb.jpg

the plunger is slightly to short, i know. and the dimple is from the hold down on the mill.

post-11311-0-47727800-1370322638_thumb.jpg

I didnt do any polishing, other than that, any criticism + feedback welcomed. i'll do a test pump on some leftover Pearl formula when the suns up.

Edited by TheArchitect23