APC Forum

Crossette Rockets

VikingPyrotechnics

Great Job On The Breaks, Very Nice

I liked the last one best. Good job all around. So what size is a "small" shell?

Agreed. The last one was the best. What size shell and what size crossettes?

#viking: nice to see you trying the crosettes!, I like your rockets.

It also seems you are having the same issues as I am always having with crosettes; fragmenting.. ;)

What break do you use for the crosettes?? 7/3 gave me similar results, many fragments just as yours.

Nevertheless, cool tries!

thanks for sharing...

Thanks guys,

the shells were 2.5 "and 3".

Crossette size was 3/4 ".

Yes Fred,

I broke the first with 7/3.

The last of 7/3 whistle (granulatet with NC)

With whistle I have had the best results.

Unfortunately I only have a cheap tool from China.

There's the "Crossette stamp" relatively large.

To too big to fill it completely with burst charge.

I have seen that the tools from wolter, have a thin "stamp".

So it should be better, I think?

There is nothing wrong with those cheap brass tools from China. I've seen excelent crosettes made with those. The whole trick is the right amount of moisture , the right amount of pressure when pressing them and the correct break configuration for crosettes. I have never mastered them, and always got the same fragmenting as you are getting. Absolutely not saying that that your crosettes are not a cool effect by itself, but a proper crosette should have 4 fragments. Try filling the cavity with some polverone and then adding some flash to it. This gives it more bulk.

I've used 7/3 for my experiments too , with the exact same result as you are getting. What did work for very solid crosettes was addition of some gum arabic to the water of the star compo and the use of some graphite powder to prevent the crosette from sticking to the tooling.

Again, these are very hard special effect stars to make right, I had given up on the whole venture rather quickly to be honest.. ;)

Edited by fredhappy