APC Forum

Grotesque Fountain

skid68

What are your guesses of what the compostion is for the first part of this fountain? Looks like coarse titanium, but doesn't look BP based, and it comes out so softly. I would like to replicate this if I can. Thanks!

I'd hazard a guess that those are silver micro stars, since that looks similar to other "lava" fountains I've seen.

10% or so spherical Ti in a strontium comp of some kind is the middle stage, I'd bet a shiny nickel. Any slow burning red star comp with a few percent spherical Ti should replicate that. For the very first portion it could be any metallic streamer or white star comp that is light on smoke, balanced heavily toward fuel to slow it down, and a touch of Ti thrown in.

Could simply be an NC/Ti mix.... I would still say it was Ti whatever the base comp, it looks just the same as the red stage, but not as fast burning.

Thanks guys. Not into star rolling yet, so micro stars are out of the question. It does look like Ti to me also. Hmmm.

I wonder if cut stars would be more likely to get stuck coming out of the nozzle and clog the hole. I suppose you could cut them super tiny!

It might not be worth it to cut stars this small. You can make microstars fairly easily just by screen granulating. Rolling them around in a bowl with some prime will really round them out.