APC Forum

Hyperbolic reporting in Aussie

Nikko

http://m.perthnow.com.au/news/national/bomb-squad-called-to-coffs-harbour-home-over-teens-explosive-scare/story-fnii5s3z-1226653486204

http://video.au.msn.com/watch/video/goodes-could-pull-out-of-weekend-match/xpumv5m?cpkey=65914776-35f3-498a-8ba1-e766a9eededb%257c%257c%257c%257c

Apparently he found the recipe 'on a website' and it can 'be used by terrorists'. Also notice that those two reports contradict each other. The day the tabloids underexaggerate is the day they say nothing at all.

"Apparently he found the recipe 'on a website' and it can 'be used by terrorists'."

Those are both about as true as it gets. The kid shouldn't be making that kind of stuff anyways.

What sucks is when your own mom calls the cops on you!

great another blow to pyro in Aus, not what we need.

now iv been doing this for 5 years or so now but im pretty sure we dont do anything like this to make our fireworks :

“It looks like he was attempting to crystalize acetone to make fireworks,’’

the general public , polly's and cops wouldn't know the difference and so the line between pyro and terrorism is blurred once again

Yeah, I have a fair idea what he was making and I'm pretty sure it wasn't fireworks.

Even if we give him the benefit of the doubt, building fireworks in someone else's house without their permission isn't a terrific idea.

Yeah there is no freezer required to make fireworks.

From what I got it was his house?

I wrote a long rant about how I feel Australian society fears different people.... but this is not the right forum, and this forum doesn't need my opinions. Pity, though. It was well-written, IMHO.

Nikko

From what I got it was his house?

The fact that he lives there doesn't make it his. If his parents were concerned enough to call the cops then they obviously weren't OK with it.

That is quite a bit of stupidity in the reporting. That is one damn cold freezer to crystallize acetone.

My take on what he was doing was A: He was synthesizing AP and it was the freezer to keep it cold, or B: He was trying to concentrate H2O2 using fractional freeze distillation.

Either way I feel sorry for you pyros down under. The fact that HE, especially sensitive peroxides would be associated with fireworks is scary. I hope no new regulations are passed as a result.

That is quite a bit of stupidity in the reporting. That is one damn cold freezer to crystallize acetone.

My take on what he was doing was A: He was synthesizing AP and it was the freezer to keep it cold, or B: He was trying to concentrate H2O2 using fractional freeze distillation.

Either way I feel sorry for you pyros down under. The fact that HE, especially sensitive peroxides would be associated with fireworks is scary. I hope no new regulations are passed as a result.

Really, this is par for the course. The media here is well-aware it is able to whip people into a frenzy over such things. For example, currently being discussed in parliament is a proposal to allow people to shoot in National Parks. The first argument was "it's noisy, they will scare people and animals." The government says "let them use moderators, then it'll be quiet." The NSW chief of police goes on record saying allowing people to use moderators will turn the entire population of licensed firearms users into assassins. The government says "That's pretty dumb. If they were going to assassinate someone, they would buy an illegal firearm and make a moderator out of PVC pipe. Or, you know, run them over." The Greens party says that the hunters will destroy the environment in the parks. The government explains that hunters love the environment and pretty much only shoot destructive animals anyway, since they are law-abiding citizens and they, again, love the outdoors.

This is where it's at at the moment. It's a very minor change, but ever since Port Arthur and the buy-back the tabloids know that any mention of firearms just has to be turned up to "high-powered rifle painted black" and the country stands with them. Same for pyro. Dude makes an Rcandy rocket, suddenly he's making anti-armour missiles. Ugh.

I guess a moderator is what you call a silencer in Australia? Perfect for shooting clock spiders with I guess...

Seriously the idea way to assassinate someone in Taiwan is to drink a few beers and run the guy over... you will only get like 2 years for it. So many DUI death happens here because the law is too lax on it.

Sound moderator or suppressor are both fairly common terms for silencer (more accurate terms as well). They are pretty much banned in Australia though.

Everything's poisonous in Australia, and it appears some humans are too...

any Aussies got their pyro license? the whole process is a giant beaurotic mess of flaming hoops.

funny thing watching american politics being an aussie, Americans choose who they want for president, Aussies choose who they DONT want for prime minister. RIP Guy fawkes night