APC Forum

Newbie that needs help!

JDawgBailz

Hello everyone,

I am new at the whole firework thing. I have been watching a ton of videos online about making them. Today I ordered tubes, shells, fuse, caps, Kraft tape, and some other things. Spent $80. I am gonna buy my black powder locally to eliminate pricy shipping costs. I do however have some questions...

For the last 2 hours I have but cutting the heads off of matches to use in the shells. I have been told this makes an effect. What effect does it make if it even works?

How much powder should I put in the tube for the lift-off? (Tube size is 9/16 in. inside diameter, 1 1/2 in. long.)

How much powder should I put in the shell? They are 7/8 in. shells? (I think?)

Will any black powder work, or what kind should I get?

I am wanting to make different effects in the "report", how do I do this and what makes what?

Also anything else would be greatly appriciated!

Thanks for the help in advance!

first,

Matches don't make an effect from all my years in pyro i haven't heard of anyone using matches , try using stars if you can.

second,

its called the "lift", and its usually 1/10th the weight of the shell

3rd,

its all on you taste in shells ,

4th,

No! not any BP will work from the store where they sell guns , don't use smokeless powder , pyrodex , or any other type other than real BP.

This is real BP http://www.powderinc.com/cgi-bin/bpstore/perlshop.cgi?ACTION=thispage&thispage=order.htm&ORDER_ID=440527451 , you will need FFg.

Making Black powder is a cheap better method. i would advise saving and buying a ball mill and the chems for making BP

5tth,

making different effects will require chemicals , i would recommend you buy the basic BP chems, (potassium nitrate, charcoal , and sulfur ) Please if you buy any other chemicals to look at the MSDS sheet , some of the chemicals used in fireworks will kill you, or harm your health ( you will end up with health like mine)

If i was you i wouldnt start out by making shells , i would start with fountains/gerbs, then a marshmallow sparkler ( Use NightHawkinLight's tutorial

) then progress your way through to some shells, it will give you better knowlege on safty and chemicals, and the prosses of making pyrotechnic devices.

if you have any other questions just PM me and i can help you. And im sure others on this forum will help to :)

BTW , welcome to the APC forums, were all like family on here :)

~Steven

For the last 2 hours I have but cutting the heads off of matches to use in the shells. I have been told this makes an effect. What effect does it make if it even works?

there is no place for match heads in a pyrotechnic device. Surely Not In A Shell.

I'd stay away from the "youtube" informational videos. lots of BS that will get you hurt.

- Instead google for a PDF by ned gorkski titled, "Turbo Pyro"

Try some of those projects instead. they will teach you more about the hobby and safe practices than you know now.

if after you make a few of those, try some BP, then some charcoal stars with you're BP. And lift those in you're shells.

With the post you've made you should'nt worry about making anything that "reports" at this point in time.

* Edit Beat Me To It...

Edited by TheArchitect23

first,

Matches don't make an effect from all my years in pyro i haven't heard of anyone using matches , try using stars if you can.

second,

3rd,

4th,

No! not any BP will work from the store where they sell guns , don't use smokeless powder , pyrodex , or any other type other than real BP.

This is real BP http://www.powderinc...ER_ID=440527451 , you will need FFg.

Making Black powder is a cheap better method. i would advise saving and buying a ball mill and the chems for making BP

5tth,

making different effects will require chemicals , i would recommend you buy the basic BP chems, (potassium nitrate, charcoal , and sulfur ) Please if you buy any other chemicals to look at the MSDS sheet , some of the chemicals used in fireworks will kill you, or harm your health ( you will end up with health like mine)

If i was you i wouldnt start out by making shells , i would start with fountains/gerbs, then a marshmallow sparkler ( Use NightHawkinLight's tutorial http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0VPIoRVt30U&list=UUFtc3XdXgLFwhlDajMGK69w&index=82 ) then progress your way through to some shells, it will give you better knowlege on safty and chemicals, and the prosses of making pyrotechnic devices.

if you have any other questions just PM me and i can help you. And im sure others on this forum will help to :)

~Steven

first,

second,

3rd,

4th,

This is real BP http://www.powderinc...ER_ID=440527451 , you will need FFg.

5tth,

If i was you i wouldnt start out by making shells , i would start with fountains/gerbs, then a marshmallow sparkler ( Use NightHawkinLight's tutorial http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0VPIoRVt30U&list=UUFtc3XdXgLFwhlDajMGK69w&index=82 ) then progress your way through to some shells, it will give you better knowlege on safty and chemicals, and the prosses of making pyrotechnic devices.

~Steven

Thank you for the quick reply. I already bought the stuff for shells but would be willing to try fountains and such. Also does anyone know how to make the crackling effect?

Skylighter has an abundance of information for beginners, projects and instructions.

http://www.skylighter.com/fireworks/how-to-make/colored-firework-fountains.asp

Their Prices Aren’t Top Notch, But If You Shop Around You Can Pick Up The Basics For $100 Or So

As For The Crackling Effect, Those Formulas Use More Expensive And Slightly Toxic Chemicals.

Both Are Not Recommended For The Beginner. There Are Chemical Incompatibilities, And Shock Frictions Sensitive.

Start With The Basics, You'll Be Even More Happy When You’ve Mastered Them, And Easily Take On Larger More Complicated Projects Safely.

Crackle is not an effect for beginners. The stuff in crackle comps can be rather toxic.

One thing you CAN do, is use small consumer novelties as the inserts in a shell. Bits of flying fish fuse, the little bee fireworks that spin, jumping jacks and even firecrackers can give different effects.

The best way to start would be the Turbo Pyro book / kit that was already mentioned. Small shells are included as the last project.

I am a little confused by your first post. What is your intention with the 9/16 ID tube. Are you wanting to make a rocket

• Like 1

Crackle is not an effect for beginners. The stuff in crackle comps can be rather toxic.

One thing you CAN do, is use small consumer novelties as the inserts in a shell. Bits of flying fish fuse, the little bee fireworks that spin, jumping jacks and even firecrackers can give different effects.

The best way to start would be the Turbo Pyro book / kit that was already mentioned. Small shells are included as the last project.

I am a little confused by your first post. What is your intention with the 9/16 ID tube. Are you wanting to make a rocket

I honestly have no idea what my intentions are. besides the fact to make something go boom in the air besides myself.

Also I was thinking for crackling effect I could use the pre-rolled balls in the "crackling solutes" that they sell at walmart for like $2, would that work?

Also I saw the flying fish fuse? I couldnt locate a description on what it does though... does anyone know what it does and such? And I ordered a roll of strobe fuse with my order earlier thought about cutting little piece of that up and putting in... will that work or no?

by the way i know i have some stupid ideas / thoughts and i appriciate the help because I have little knowledge with the hobby.

here’s a good tutorial on a FFF mine, you can easily adapt this to a shell or 2.

http://www.skylighter.com/fireworks/how-to-make/flying-fish-fuse-mine.asp

That should give you a better idea of the effect. they look great in shells, but you will have very light shells which will need more lift.

• Like 1

here’s a good tutorial on a FFF mine, you can easily adapt this to a shell or 2.

http://www.skylighte...h-fuse-mine.asp

That should give you a better idea of the effect. they look great in shells, but you will have very light shells which will need more lift.

Thanks! Thats really neat! I wish I would have bought some of that fuse. Do you think the strobe fuse I ordered will work nicely or not so much?

I don't think i have tried the strobe fuse, might be a little slow for such a small height. Stroke fuse would be good as inserts with stars for a 2-3'' shell, or rocket header tho.

someone whos used it might chime in after me.

• Like 1

i haven't used strobe fuse , but i think it will work ok, i more of a shell guy myself. btu i think it will burn to slow , and iv heard it goes outs easier than regular fuse. worth a shot though :)

shells has been waited for me about one and a half years since start. i started making BP spinners. fountains, later my first rockets flew (after a ton of catos). and then came shells. there are lots of articles on firework. there alt of topics about articles. Edited by Oinikis

Thanks for chiming in everyone. I need as much help as I can get. I will post a video of something I have made. Prolly not until the end of next week though.

Am I understanding you correctly that you are using the 9/16" x 1 1/2" tubes as the "shell"? That is way too small and would maybe work as an insert. In something that small match heads could work but they would need to pop about 15 feet up. Far from a real shell.

Of coarse, maybe I read you wrong.

Go to www.skylighter.com and buy the turbopyro kit and you will learn all of the basics involved with Pyro items.

Learning to make good quality blackpowder should be your first lesson learned.

Blackpowder is used in many of the Pyro items you will be making.

You will also need to learn the different types of blackpowder that are made/used for different pyro items.

Blackpowder is used for lift charges, burst charges, rocket fuel, stars, black match fuse, etc.

You can make your own charcoal with a TLUD cooker and Eastern Red Cedar wood chips.

You can save some money by making your own good quality charcoal.

Take the time to learn what you are doing and how to do it safely.

It is easy to make a mistake that can cause great injury and much damage to property.

Read the posts about Dagabu and you will see that an accident can happen to an experienced person in the pyro field.

The turbopyro kit will give you step by step instructions on how to safely make each item.

Be aware that many of the videos you see on Youtube are total bullshit created by hacks waiting to die.

All it takes is a spark, excessive friction, impact, or the use of the wrong tool and you can create an explosion or fire

when working with pyrotechnic compounds.

Never make large amounts of any pyro compound at one time, limit your exposure to the potential.

Am I understanding you correctly that you are using the 9/16" x 1 1/2" tubes as the "shell"? That is way too small and would maybe work as an insert. In something that small match heads could work but they would need to pop about 15 feet up. Far from a real shell.

Of coarse, maybe I read you wrong.

I am using that size tube for the lift. The shells are 7/8 in. (advertised 1 in.).

Plus eleventy on the turbo pyro .pdf.

It does include a couple places where you can use Pyrodex instead of FFFg as your lift powder. But you are still going to need a BP base mix for everything but lift powder that is another breed of cat.

Google {turbo pyro .pdf} and read it -please- before you light any fuses.

Since there were some questions on the strobe fuse, I got some on video...though a bit out of focus. It's the second break in this shell (first break to function above ground level)

Since there were some questions on the strobe fuse, I got some on video...though a bit out of focus. It's the second break in this shell (first break to function above ground level) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGcQIuZg7Fk&list=UUww32JcO9xpgjs3lJ7yw1xg&index=4

Wow that is neat! (exactly what im aiming to do, only in single break. Also in response to Mumbles, I am attaching the lift tube to the bottom of the shell and then placing it in the firing tube. that is how i have always seen them.

I would save the tubes for another project. Instead go to McDonald's or Wendys and get a bunch of the little ketchup cups. They work great and are a better size and shape than a tube.

The fast food ketchup cups work great for testing comps and lift cups for 1-3/4" to 2.5" shells, But they are way too big for a 7/8" shell. For 3-4" I use small paper dixie cups. The 9/16 id tubes will probably work ok for lift cups for 7/8" shells, but the tubes probably won't break apart and will be left in the gun and need to be cleared after every shot.

The fast food ketchup cups work great for testing comps and lift cups for 1-3/4" to 2.5" shells, But they are way too big for a 7/8" shell. For 3-4" I use small paper dixie cups. The 9/16 id tubes will probably work ok for lift cups for 7/8" shells, but the tubes probably won't break apart and will be left in the gun and need to be cleared after every shot.

I was thinking the whole thing would go in the air, because the lift tube is connected to the shell with glue??? also how much bp should i put in the lift and in the shell.

I was thinking the whole thing would go in the air, because the lift tube is connected to the shell with glue??? also how much bp should i put in the lift and in the shell.

You normally put 1/10 of the weight of the shell for the lift. However this is dependant on the power and quality of you lift powder.