APC Forum

Halogen Production

Swany

I have been thinking of halogens and their production.

The main proccess I see in chemistry texts is:

H2SO4+XY+MnO2->XHSO4+Y+MnSO4+H2O, where X is an alkali metal, and Y a halogen. An example of this being:

2KI+MnO2+3H2SO4->I2+2KHSO4+MnSO4+2H2O

The free halogen would be distilled, sublimed, or simply siphoned off(gas).

With iodine, alchoholic tincture solutions (sometimes quite strong) can be obtained for vetinary purposes. I have a bottle of 7% stuff that I will extract my iodine from, and this can be released by simple oxidation. There is some art to it, but I don't have time to explain that as of now.

Halogens are dangerous, toxic, and generally bad tempered. Be careful when working with them.

I will have to convert my iodine to aluminum iodide, and then react this solution with sodium hydroxide to produce sodium iodide which can be easily oxidised. I wonder if it would be possible to simply use the AlI3 in replacement of a NaI solution.

• 2 weeks later...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halogen

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.f...4&dopt=Abstract

I don't really know about Halogens but I read those links and they seem exremely interesting and I think I just might have to do some more reseach and look deeper into it!

Edited by kwstag

You know, there is an easy way to get chlorine... electrolysis of HCl.

It won't produce a large amount of Chlorine, but it dosn't require very many chemicals.

Electrolysis of HCl require good Electrolysis cell(sorry dont how what is the English term for it)...

In my opinion the most simple method for Cl2 is KMnO4 and HCl, It is very cheap and easy,Yes it does requires some equipment but dont require anything special.

BTW I think H2O2/H2SO4 is a cheaper way to oxidize bromides and iodides to free bromine and iodine.

• 3 months later...

An easy way to get chlorine is to react Potassium Permanganate ( crystals or solution will do ) with dilute hydrochloric acid. Well that was what I did. I did it from my knowledge of chemistry, not from any texts. What I used was dil HCl. Well what I think happened was the KMnO4 being an oxidiser oxidised Cl from valency -1 to 0 in Cl2. I guess other oxidisers work as well, but it has to be pretty strong for it to work with dilute HCl.

Reaction is rapid and produces much Cl gas. Quite economical also.

It would be great if anyone can produce fluorine gas since from what I heard, it is one of the most corrosive, toxic and poisonous substances on the planet. ;)

Flourine is also the most reactive element on the periodic table, reacting even with noble gases.

Ultrasound works too as far as i can remember.

If you have a ultrasound bath for degreasing or what not, it might be a good method.

Fluorine is extremely difficult to prepare. As was previously mentioned it is one of the most reactive elements on the periodic table. The only element it does not react with is He. One could make a case for Argon as well. There are no known compounds of just Argon and fluorine to my knowledge. HF reacts with it at extremely low temperatures and under bombardment of UV light though. It's preparation often involves it's nobel gas compounds. There are some that won't react together at room temp. The compounds are formed, and then decomposed to be able to collect the free fluorine. I believe there is some Uranium compound that may also be used.

Fluorine has some fun chemistry. It has many unique properties, and does some weird stuff.

From what my chemistry teacher says, fluorine is easy to prepare however it is hard to collect.

It is made by passing electric current through molten KF with HF or electrolysis of KHF2 molten.

But for us, :(

The first main problem is getting the starting chemicals.

KF won't turn an eye when we try to get it from chemical supply stores but then obtaining HF or hydrofluoric acid should be quite hard to obtain.

The second main problem would be the apparatus, the high heat required to melt these ionic solids and the collection of hot fluorine gas.

The third problem would be the safety aspect.

There is danger of fluorine explosively reacting with hydrogen to give acidic HF fumes.

So its quite hard to make F2 gas. If anyone does make it, it would be extremely intresting to hear! :lol:

Ideally, I prepare F2, and find some Xe gas. These will be mixed in a nickel cylinder, lid closed, and heated to several hundred degrees for a few hours. Upon opening, I will have some solid crystals of Xenon fluorides. Adding these to water will yeild hydrolysis products of HF and XeO3. Xenon trioxide is a primary high explosive with power comparable to TNT. Read 'The Noble Gasses' by Issac Asimov.

This was all done in the 60's. So, if I can get a cylinder of Xe and F2.... if only.

The Rn compound would in theory be the easiest compound to prepare, likelyness of it working, kinetically, decreases with the mass of the noble gas.

Very very interesting! Thanks for sharing with us. :P

But wouldn't the fluorine react with nickel given the high temperatures?

Anyways all of this is all theoretical except for those well-equipped well-stocked experienced chemists.

Chances are I'm not going to do these out-of-the-world things.

Yeah, it may, but so what? It forms a protective fluoride layer and is self protecting. You can actually 'denature' HNO3 by adding a small amount of HF will form the fluoride layer to protect some metals from it.

No problem.

Easyest way to get Cl2/HCl mixture is solid NaCl + H2SO4 and KMnO4 + HCl.

Oh and I won't mess with F2 even if I were paid money. The reason is F2 will just probably burn all my clothes. Many chemists have died when working with F2.

Easyest way to get Cl2/HCl mixture is solid NaCl + H2SO4 and KMnO4 + HCl.

Oh and I won't mess with F2 even if I were paid money. The reason is F2 will just probably burn all my clothes. Many chemists have died when working with F2.

NaCl + H2SO4 won't give Cl gas, but rather HCl. Even that reaction is reactant favored. We want Cl2, not HCl, or a mixture of HCl and Cl2. You have to add an oxidiser if you want that reaction to proceed. Please do us all a favor and not waste your time in the general chemistry section when you know absolutly nothing about chemistry.

F2 won't burn your clothes. Worst case scenario, it bleaches them. F2 poisoning is caused by the insolubility of CaF2. There is plenty of Ca2+ in our blood stream. Injestion of F2, or large amounts of F-, causes the calcium to precipitate. No calcium means no heart beat. It would certainly be a shitty way to go. Have your heart stop, and lungs blister, and suffocate from the inside from drowning in your own fluids and your brain being totally deprived of oxygen.