APC Forum

Pink Strobe Formula

TheArchitect23

howdy all, its been a while.

I was wondering if anyone would like to share a pink, or pink strobe comp that they have tested preferably, or at least have seen.

The "better" half wants pink this year, and i see alot of posts elsewhere that pinks are all washed or to red. Anyone out there made Pink successfully?

If so, id like to also make a strobe.

*these will be rolled preferablly.

Edited by TheArchitect23

So Far I Have Found:

Magenta / Pink

Strontium Nitrate - 38

Potassium Perchlorate - 8 = Or KNO3 - 8

Parlon - 18

Magnalium - 12

Copper Carbonate - 10

Charcoal - 5

Sulfur - 5

Dextrin - 4

Origin: Mumbles

Perhapse Someone Can Chime In On The Results

• Like 1

Pink

kclo4 48

copper oxide 7

Strontium carbonate 11

red gum 10

parlon 12

MgAl (200mesh) 8

Buell pink.

Perc- 35

Potassium Nitrate - 11

Copper Oxide - 6

Strontium Carbonate - 11

-200 mesh MgAl - 14

Parlon - 13

Red Gum - 7

Dextrin - 5

102 total parts

the buell was recomended by mumbles and the other one i got off buss he said there is a you tube video i have not tried either but seen a vid of mumbles pink mine and they look good

• Like 1

Thank you for the reply. i think ill try the buell pink.

hows the burn rate?

The MagAl makes me remember blue out of the veline color system – 3/8 hits the ground every time haha.

I wont have a spot for testing this year until the 4th, so ground and star gun is all i have before i paste.

Just to clarify. The magenta formula you posted with potassium perchlorate is actually from Jim Freeman. He calls it purple or violet, but it's magenta in my eyes. I like it. With potassium nitrate instead, it might make a nice pink. I don't recall ever recommending that, but I'd be happy to take credit. :)

The "Buell Pink" is something I came up with based very loosely on Buell Red, substituting in other things for the strontium carbonate. The burn rate is pretty decent. A closely related formula that I use burns for about 1-1.5 seconds for 1/4" stars. The above star probably burns closer to 2 seconds.

As for strobes, I have tried a bunch of Ammonium perchlorate formulas, and other than Orange, Pink came out second best.

The formula I had most success with was Meinhart Pink strobe

Ammonium perchlorate 57

MgAl 18 (skylighter says use - 200 mesh, I used -100)

Strontium sulfate 11

Strontium carbonate 8

Potassium dichromate 5

Parlon 4

As with the pink star formulas already posted, I think a good pink has some copper content, and is based on a reddish purple rather than a red. While I have not tried this modification, it could be possible to switch some of the Strontium carbonate with Copper carbonate without disrupting the strobe.

The old formulas that used to be on United Nuclear had a pink. I think I had used it back in the day, and it was a nice hot pink, not too much like a magenta. I did make some pink, and I have no idea what formula it was, but those formulas would have been something I was working with at the time, and that is probably what I used. I don't have a copy of the formulas anymore, so I can't tell ya what they are.

Cheap Pink colour star composition-

composition

Sr(NO3)2-55

flake Al(extremely fine)-27

pvc-17

boric acid-2

needs hot prime to ignite stars successfully.

Anyone who has seriously investigated pastel type colors will tell you that there is an enormous difference between a good pink, and a washed out red. I urge people to experiment and see what you like. I can speak from experience though that taking decent red formulas, and doing things to wash it out, is not a good way to get good pinks.