APC Forum

Charcoal snot

SekndAmendment

Does anybody else hate it when you're pulling charcoal from the retort and somehow you end up with the blackest most disgusting boogers afterwards? I need to buy some face masks.

Never again,you learn. I screened it in the house once!

Dan.

• Like 1

Yes face masks before chems when safety is priority PPE should seem mandatory to all of us I tend to not granulate bp for my rockets for I then become complacent to not wear respiratory protection

Never again,you learn. I screened it in the house once!

Dan.

I wasn't even pre-processing or grinding. I was just pulling it out of the can and putting it into the container I keep my charcoal in. Took me 2 minutes tops and then my nose was all sorts of stuffed up. I've been out of masks for a couple weeks and was planning on buying some more before milling and didn't think I'd need one just to empty the retort. Man was I wrong.

The disposable painters masks help but they do not seal very well. If there is a breeze, however slight, try positioning your body upwind while using the mask. It helps.
  • Like 1

Filtering charcoal is what your nose is made for. Black boogers is just a reminder of a day well spent

Filtering charcoal is what your nose is made for. Black boogers is just a reminder of a day well spent

• Like 1

yep, nose is for filtering. also lungs are covered with special cells, whitch extract viscous stuff, and moves it up, and you spit it out or swalow it. as long as the dust is not poisonous (and not in giant doses) you should be fine. but if you are doing alot of dusty stuff, or with metal powders, various salts (expecialy barium), and other nasty stuff, then mask is a must. for single short time with charcoal it won't harm you. but protection doesn't put shame on ye.

charcoal is actually quite carcinogenic but yes our body is quite good a coping if you have ever seen a 50 year old smokers lung compared to a 50 year old non smoker there is a difference but not much we breath in crap our whole lives no matter what. the adds for smokers are comparing a clean lung that only really exists in babies so we should just be vigilant to do what we can for we all play with powder 2 and 3 micron which is comparable to cigarette smoke

I was blending some charcoal about 2-3weeks ago and I've had a really bad cough since! I reckon I've breathed in some of that powder right into my darn lunges! And I had a painters mask on!

charcoal,carcinogenic? never heard that.. ;) . i don't wear a dust mask for BP chems in small amounts . and only once will you not wear a dust mask when messing with AL powder... it hurts so bad it isnt even funny . thats my stupid old self for ya, not wearing gloves with perc and no dust mask with AL , i was such a stupid kid ...

Custom carbon filter for your nose ;)
  • Like 1

I'll just start drinking water with a straw through my nose after grinding charcoal. Gotta take advantage of my new-found water purification system.

I'll just start drinking water with a straw through my nose after grinding charcoal. Gotta take advantage of my new-found water purification system.

Yeah and backflush the system with a nice large swig of warm CocaCola. ;)

Edited by Bobosan