• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 pyroman2498

pyroman2498

Pyrotechnician

• Donator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 382 posts
  • Interests:Organic chemistry(PhD) ,physics, and the Art and beauty of pyrotechnics

Posted 22 May 2013 - 11:57 PM

Ok, to make sure i don't make this too long i will shorten the story
So, I was in the "shop" making fountains. So being me i decided to mess around with some BP chemicals, i mixed a few different comps, (being stupid , i didn't write them down :( ) and the one that caught my eye was the one i added 80 mesh BBQ charcoal to, (BBQ charcoal was the only charcoal i had in 80 mesh ), the comp also had airfloat charcoal ( I used Red Cedar ) in it. when I lit the fountain it started out like a regular fountain, but then i noticed the charcoal ( i assume it was the 80 mesh charcoal ) had a nice look to it coming out of the fountain , kinda like a firefly,glittering type look to it ( i like to call it a flitter ) and I was like i need to make make these into stars.
When I made them into stars ( i used the leftover mix i used for the fountain ) they were nice and solid ( BTW i added 5 g of dextrin to the comp ). I have yet to put it in a 1.75" mine, but I have put them in a star gun and they look great. But since i didn't write the comp down i don't have the exact comp but this is what i think it was, (BTW i did ball mill the fountain mix, but i left out the 80 mesh )

I call the mix "PM's Streamer #1 "

Kno3- 45%
Charcoal(80 mesh)- 22.5% (Add after your done milling )
Charcoal(AirFloat)- 22.5%
Sulfur- 5%
Dextrin-5%
ball mill time will vary, but a good estimate is about 5 hrs. (milling longer will make the burn rate faster, thus making the star faster )

I have yet to test it in a shell , so if you would like to make this comp, put it in a shell and post a video it would be appreciated :)

Anyways, hope you give it a try, i'll be shooting a shell with it in there in a few weeks, Need to find a day when it has rained, and time to go and fire it.

~Steven

EDIT: BTW , This formula is up for modification, if you want to give any suggestions to the formula to make it better just Leave a comment here or PM me. :)

Edited by pyroman2498, 23 May 2013 - 02:59 AM.

NO MAN LEFT BEHIND

​The Origins of "Stay Green" - http://www.fireworks.../green-man.html

MAPAG member (7/25/14)
Licensed NC Display Assistant (3/31/17)

#2 Eaglefireworks

Eaglefireworks

Playing with fire

• PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 01:22 AM

that formula sounds very close to TT Star formula except charcoal type and mesh size.

''I will win......not immediately........but definitely.......''

#3 pyroman2498

pyroman2498

Pyrotechnician

• Donator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 382 posts
  • Interests:Organic chemistry(PhD) ,physics, and the Art and beauty of pyrotechnics

Posted 23 May 2013 - 02:01 AM

I know , but it wasnt meant to be a copy, just somthing i made,liked and decided to post :)
NO MAN LEFT BEHIND

MAPAG member (7/25/14)

#4 Sinken

Sinken

Pyromaniac

• Donator
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts
  • Interests:Pyrotechnics (of course), DIY, programming, making stuff in general.

Posted 23 May 2013 - 02:04 AM

Find a day when it rains? Here in Norway we fire whenever it doesn't rain :P

Anyway, it looks like a modified version of slow gold, without the Ti: http://web.archive.o...title=Slow_Gold

I looking forward to see it.

#5 pyroman2498

pyroman2498

Pyrotechnician

• Donator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 382 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 03:02 AM

yeah, i like it when it rains so if there is ash that falls, the ground won't instantaneously catch fire.
Im trying to create a unique star for the beginner, that s cheap , and effective, sometimes TT, and Crys. get boring and you want something different, thats what type of star i'm after :)
NO MAN LEFT BEHIND

MAPAG member (7/25/14)

#6 dan999ification

dan999ification

Pyrotechnician

• PipPipPipPip
  • 990 posts
  • Interests:fishing, bbq, foraging, riding 2 strokes, body building
    FIREWORKS

Posted 23 May 2013 - 10:24 AM

You could try adding metals to streamers, c6 with 20% 60-300# mg/al is my personal favourite. The larger mg/al sizzles nicely when viewed up close in mines or fired as single comets.
Tt with that much mg/al is like flaming shit on you.

C6 with 10% less charcoal is also very nice, I've managed to get two different colours from this by changing the methods. Milled for a few hours gives a pale yellow/off white streamer. Screen mixing it gave more pink from the nitrate but the colour was pastel peach ( yellow, pink, white)

Or there's adding some ti to tt for a cheap and dirty brocade type effect.
Playing with the mesh of the metals and charcoal and changing milling times or just screen mixing can give a very large range of effects with just a few comps as bases.

Dan.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users