APC Forum

No Red smoke balls

kpknd

I know, it's kid stuff, but I like to light a colored smoke or two when I feel the need. But, I have never seen a red smoke in any box of Black Cat smoke balls, I make my own anyway, but just wondering.

I just bought a few packs of smoke balls today, and indeed, there are no red smokes. The packs I get typically have yellow, blue, purple, white, and orange. You can buy red smoke in the cylinder type of packaging, but I haven't seen them in the ball form either.

I've never noticed that before. Typically red is the most common smoke color amongst devices. Perhaps the consumer products intentionally exclude red to avoid confusion with military and police type devices.

Yep that's correct, spherical red smoke is prohibited for consumer sale due to people passing them off as "cherry bombs", and conversely people saying their homemade cherry bombs were "red smoke". Weird laws we have.

Wow, I never knew that was the reason. But that makes sense. Edited by Ferret

No, not for your average consumer. Consumer (1.4g) fireworks are limited by a certain amount of flash powder, I think it's something like 50mg maximum for ground firecrackers in the U.S.

• 3 weeks later...