APC Forum

Failed Fireworks (Duds)

ollie1016

Hello All,

I was firing off some small 1 inch ball shells the other day, and a few of them didn't light. I found 2 on the ground and felt quite nervous about going near them. The fuse (3mm visco) was blackened but didn't burn.

I was just wondering what everyone else does with shells that don't light and they find on the ground.

Thanks ,

If they are commercial shells or shells you know contain energetic burst, I would soak them in water carefully open them up and burn the wet contents. If it a shell you made and you are comfortable with the contents inside I would refuse it and fire again. That said work on your priming technique so you don't have this problem again.

• 1 month later...
Always wait a few extra minutes before attempting to go near the shell...try to soak it in water using a water hose or bucket....do not pick up the shell, kick it or use a stick to get it out of the way of other people and other flammable substances around it such as dry bushes or gas.... Soak it in water for 24hrs, then dispose of it.

Hopefully you found them in the morning. You should wait minimum an hour before going near it if you saw it come down while shooting, but I prefer overnight if feasible. After that, as others have said, soak it in water and open it up. I don't even like re-fusing my own shells or inserts. If you do chose to do that, slowly BY HAND, twist a drill bit to form a new fuse hole in the case and add a new fuse and seal it up. Even this makes me uneasy, and I prefer not to do it. Unless it's a very complex shell, I'd usually rather just soak it and take the loss of materials.