APC Forum

Best burst charges?

Andrew206

I am looking to make a burst mix for the upcoming 4th of July. I have my fair share of experience producing pyrotechnics; though I do not call myself a professional by any means.

Would anyone be able to give me pro's and con's?

Idealy, I want to have something that is stable for transportation, but also has some kick to it as I like my display to have some boom added to the stars.

KCLO4/Ger. Dark Al (~$13 per pound)

KNO3/Mg (~$8 per pound)

NaNo3/Mg (~$9 per pound)

KCLO4/NaC7H5O2 [sodium Benzoate] (~$10 per pound)

Sulfurless BP mix

What kind of shells are you trying to burst? Most of those aren't going to be great as bursts on their own. The two most common bursts are black powder or a formula called KP (70 potassium perchlorate, 18 charcoal, 12 sulfur). They can be boosted to fit some needs, but they do the majority of the work.

Judging by his other post, I'd say he is trying to burst salute shells.

Maybe, maybe not. It's a general question.

What kind of shells are you trying to burst? Most of those aren't going to be great as bursts on their own. The two most common bursts are black powder or a formula called KP (70 potassium perchlorate, 18 charcoal, 12 sulfur). They can be boosted to fit some needs, but they do the majority of the work.

aeriel shells, maybe some small stars. probably 1 inch or 2 inch. nothing tooo big.

Not sure if this is a well known sort of thing, but I've been trying bp coated grass seed, instead of rice hulls. It's deffinately a cheaper option! Works just the same as rice hulls!

Someone mentioned that live seed like grass seed or bird feed millet could sprout after being wetted and BP coated. Anyone experience this at all?

Back when I started, I used grass seed quite a few times and never experienced sprouting. However, one of my friends who is a very knowledgeable gardener suggested that it was possible.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure hulls are cheaper than seed.

Another thing added for the OP: You're not going to have much luck just adding stars to a salute shell. Salutes will turn anything that you put in them to dust. Sometimes those mixes (flash powders) are used in very small amounts to "boost" a shell and make it break a little harder, and even that requires very special considerations as far as star strength and priming. There also exists an upper velocity limit for each star type at which it will simply not stay lit no matter how well you prime it. So even if a star could survive a ridiculously hard break, they will not light.

Edited by flying fish

Agreed.

Back when I started, I used grass seed quite a few times and never experienced sprouting. However, one of my friends who is a very knowledgeable gardener suggested that it was possible.

Another thing added for the OP: You're not going to have much luck just adding stars to a salute shell. Salutes will turn anything that you put in them to dust. Sometimes those mixes (flash powders) are used in very small amounts to "boost" a shell and make it break a little harder, and even that requires very special considerations as far as star strength and priming. There also exists an upper velocity limit for each star type at which it will simply not stay lit no matter how well you prime it. So even if a star could survive a ridiculously hard break, they will not light.

Grass seed is an option but unfortunately give the environment sprouting will encore try looking for oat husks close to rice hulls and just as good

I bet just about every decent sized town has a brewery supply store that carries rice hulls. They are a by product with few uses and it seems like they run about fifty cents a pound. If you coat them 6:1 BP to hulls, that is seven pounds of burst for every pound of hulls, so a pound should make quite a few shells.

Ill stick with the grass seed! I've got a mate that works at a large garden centre that gets it dirt cheap! I never thought about the seeds germinating on me! Never crossed my mind!

I must ask....If you have a "fair share of experience producing pyrotechnics," how do you not know about basic burst charges, and then list flash formulas and their prices with less than 10 posts? I'll admit I am skeptical, but I do understand the need for questions. I have asked about boosters my self because I had conflicting information. As a frequent member here, I am only helping my companions maintain the integrity of the forum. To the administrators, I apologize in advance if I've over stepped my bounds. Edited by Bcorso85

Maybe, maybe not. It's a general question.

aeriel shells, maybe some small stars. probably 1 inch or 2 inch. nothing tooo big.

Well if i were you i wouldn't make salutes, there way to dangerous and attract to much attention from unwanted law Enforcement (Trust me iv had un wanted visits, there not fun when they take all you stars and chems)

Also flash dosnt have to be used in the case of bursting a shell, whistle mix will work fine, but even then you probably dont need a booster for a 1"-2" shell. ( iv had nice brakes from willow Bp covered in rice hulls and rice puffs )

BTW, if your truly using this stuff to burst shells then Im willing to help , but this forum isnt a place for finding out how to make salutes And bombs, (no matter how experienced you say you are, Accident happen, and can be deadly especially if your making salutes or using any FP ) We dont want another "Young Captain Hook ".

P.S, I hope i didnt come out mean im just a person who's against the use of flash.

And to the Admins, sorry if i went to far, just trying to keep this guy aware of some of the dangers.

Stay safe

~Steven

I must ask....If you have a "fair share of experience producing pyrotechnics," how do you not know about basic burst charges, and then list flash formulas and their prices with less than 10 posts? I'll admit I am skeptical, but I do understand the need for questions. I have asked about boosters my self because I had conflicting information. As a frequent member here, I am only helping my companions maintain the integrity of the forum. To the administrators, I apologize in advance if I've over stepped my bounds.

I was thinking the same thing...

gallery_1558_12_39008.jpg

Edited by psyco_1322