APC Forum

papasmurf

With tumbler, media and 3/4 spindle & tooling, it's not too outrageous. The rammers look like some sort of plastic. Some convolute tubes would be waaaay safer than the PVC they suggest.

Yea I've had bad experience with PVC in the past when trying to make mortar tubes, I'd never use it again in pyro. HDPE or the paper tubes are my choice now. For rockets though I'm only using paper tubes.

I was thinking about getting the Rocket Factory 1 from Unitied Nuclear, http://unitednuclear...products_id=543. The price seems resonable compared to buying a ball mill and tooling from say skylighter. Couldn't find any reviews on the package, any thoughts?

Thanks!

Not a bad deal for the beginner!! I agree with Bobosan, I will not allow PVC motor casing at shoots nor will the clubs I am a member of. I have a very nice scar on my right wrist from my run in with PVC casings years ago.

Are you in the USA? PM me if you are, I have something for you to help get you started. BTW- the scoop and tooling are very well made, buy a rawhide hammer and you can pound BP rockets (nozzleless) onsite and shoot them at the same time (though you may want to move over some). Great teaching tools as well. There are three spindles for that base too, and end burner and along spindle for BP motors.

Edited by dagabu

Not a bad deal for the beginner!! I agree with Bobosan, I will not allow PVC motor casing at shoots nor will the clubs I am a member of. I have a very nice scar on my right wrist from my run in with PVC casings years ago.

Are you in the USA? PM me if you are, I have something for you to help get you started. BTW- the scoop and tooling are very well made, buy a rawhide hammer and you can pound BP rockets (nozzleless) onsite and shoot them at the same time (though you may want to move over some). Great teaching tools as well. There are three spindles for that base too, and end burner and along spindle for BP motors.

PM sent!

I started out with the United Nuclear kit and still have it. I didn't get their ball mill though, I got a 6lb one from harbor freight.

The powder scoops are very nice, I got a few extras. I have had the stick separate from the scoop on a couple, but some gorilla glue fixed that! Don't use the scoops to tap against the side of the tube to settle the increments after pouring, unless you've gorilla glued them.

There are only 2 spindles for the UN kit. The long spindle it comes with and the end burn spindle. The individual long spindle available on the site is a replacement for the one that comes with the kit. The spindle in the kit is VERY close to Steve LaDukes Hybrid Universal spindle. So with this kit you can make any motor the hybrid spindle can make.

If you want a full UN rocket kit(not the factory with ballmill) including second base plate and the end burner spindle, PM me. I could be convinced to let them go. ;)

FYI...I am in the midst of putting together beginner rocket kits...complete with tubes, spindle and rammers...even sticks. All you will need is bp and fuse.......will be introducing website soon. Thousands of tubes arriving shortly....

The rocket factory from UN came yesturday I was impressed with how well everything was packaged. Looking forward to using it! No I just need my chemicals and I'm ready to make some rockets!