APC Forum

Model rocket success

kpknd

And away she goes....The model is about 24", the first flight is on a 8oz. motor and the second flight is a 1lb motor. http://youtu.be/Z6owCaWxeKg

The first two motors that day were 8oz. Both ignited at the top, the first (seen as the first flight in video) was my standard fuel mix, The second, not shown, was the 60-30-10, it went only about half as far.

The next shot in the video shows a 1lb 60-30-10 motor being used, ignited at the bottom.

I think the 60-30-10 fuel mix leaves a little to be desired.

Edited by kpknd

Nice! How much did the model itself weigh? And the motor construction?

I've always thought the same thing about 60:30:10, it really just doesn't have much power to it. If you look at it, double the charcoal and less oxidizer, no wonder it sucks. We should be making charcoal stars out of it!

The first shot, with the 8oz motor really put it up there. The second clip with the 1lb motor seemed a bit sluggish. What was the fuel in the 1lb motor?

cool! i was surprised that it landed almost at exact spot where it took off. did you made the parachute module by yourself? they did not worked for me.

The model is 8oz. The motors are standard core burning construction (firework) and the parachute is made from a trash bag.

I just got back from flying it a gain this after noon, it was not a good as last time. It went a little hirizontal the first two times and had a hard landing. The third flight blew out the nozzel but it recovered okay. It does'nt look as good as it did before but still flyable.

Nice rocket. Once I start getting good rocket motors I think I might try this. Were these core burners? Edited by JFeve81