APC Forum

My firework channel

Jordan123

Hi guys,

This my firework channel on YouTube, i'm french please comment and subscribe !

I need your comment for best shell :)

The preview of NYE : http://youtu.be/SMh_M6XSiUw

The best shell : http://youtu.be/NAW3jIXfj0Y

Edited by Jordan123

Hello Jordan,

Nice channel. You are talented. You are only 15 years old , yet seem to be able to make some nice beginner projects, my compliments.

Try and perfect your spiking for your cilinder shells. The pattern looks a bit sloppy , so try working on that.

keep it up, and please remember : etre tres prudent, lire beaucoup, progresser lentement!!!!

best

fred

that's cool shell. i haven't done stars together with salutes in one shell, but aren't the stars supposed to be between inserts and the canule? i mean in the inner ring. Edited by Oinikis

Hello Jordan,

Nice channel. You are talented. You are only 15 years old , yet seem to be able to make some nice beginner projects, my compliments.

Try and perfect your spiking for your cilinder shells. The pattern looks a bit sloppy , so try working on that.

keep it up, and please remember : etre tres prudent, lire beaucoup, progresser lentement!!!!

best

fred

Thank you very much ! This is encouraging :)

What do you say "spiking" = design ?

that's cool shell. i haven't done stars together with salutes in one shell, but aren't the stars supposed to be between inserts and the canule? i mean in the inner ring.

Thank, i not understand this, please speak with esay langage, i'm french :/

You say my time report ? He can place everywhere on the shell

Spiking is the wrapping of cylinder shells with string after filling and closing them. I believe FredHappy is talking about the shells at approximately 17 and 24 seconds.

The canule is the center area of the cylinder shell where the burst is placed. You'll probably want to try to learn some of the technical terms to advance your cylinder shell skills. Many of the terms are actually in Italian.

Ok, my spiking can be best but how ? what is the problem ?

From the pictures it looks like you are using commercially made tubes rather than hand-wound casings for your cylinder shells. In this case, you might get away with the sloppy spiking since it serves more to keep the end disks on than to aid in confinement (to be more correct, having string to keep the end disks on does aid confinement in the axial direction).

But as far as making the spiking better... For one make sure the vertical strands are parallel with the length of the shell. To make the spacing more even, think of it like cutting a pizza - you start with say (as one possible example), 2 full wraps around the shell that are perpendicular to one another, crossing in the center of the end disks. You now have 4 "slices". Go around the shell dividing each gap equally in half until you have the number of vertical wraps that you want (this varies based on shell size of course - there are many resources such as pyrotechnica IX that will offer reccomendations on the number of strands for a given shell size).

Lots more to say about spiking of course, but perhaps that will help explain what we are talking about with the spiking.

Even this I thought was sloppy, but should be adequate for what I'm trying to do.

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b330/WhyAreAllUserNamesTaken/CIMG1201_zpsfce6a8a1.jpg

Edited by flying fish

Ok, thank you, yes i use a commercially cylindrical bomb

:) 'flying fish' explain the correct procedure of spiking; also see the YouTube’s clip of spiking method.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tad44gqinEk

Edited by pyrowinner

The method show in that video is "off center", which avoids the pileup of string you see on my shell. Very useful for applications where you need the top and/or bottom to be flat.

Actually it's kind of a combination of off center spiking, and "cross center?" or whatever that other method is called. Off Center starts to one side of the fuse, and never crosses the center of the shell. Edited by psyco_1322

Yeah good point. He starts with standard spiking for the first 8 strands and then switches to off center.

Jordan123,

If you have a system of building shells that works for you, go ahead and use it.

Some pyrotechnist's believe you should build shells in the traditional manner.

The traditional methods of building shells were created by individual pyrotechnists many years ago.

Our technologies and available materials have changed over the years, it is possible to find easier more reliable methods.

Most industries make changes in technologies, materials, products, and services as time moves forward.

Part of the art of Pyrotechnica is the simple design and minimal materials used for a quality effect leaving the least amount of residue behind.

Some Pyrotechnist's will not use plastic shells, they will only use paper shells that leave behind very little residue.

The people that I see getting the most respect in this industry are the ones developing new ideas, new products, and new processes.

You will never make everyone happy, the important part is, are you happy at the end of the day with your works.