APC Forum

Girandolas in Thailand

Bangkokpyro

The Veverka Brothers Jeremy and Jesse are in Thailand right now filming for their documentary film 'Passfire'.

I went with them to a local rocket festival to film some Thai style Girandolas. Small versions of these devices are known as 'Talai' in Thai and the bigger ones over 10 feet diameter 'Talai Yak'. As Ned Gorski once pointed out they are not realy a Girandola more a hoop stabilized Tourbillion.

They wanted to get a view of the lift and accent from the device itself so fixed a small camera to the hoop around the pipe.

The Talai exploded about 100 feet off the ground and came down pretty close to us so we were able to retrieve the almost unscathed camera. I have no footage from it but it shows the exaust jets clearly on take off and the pipe glowing red hot just before it explodes and spirals down to the ground. You will need to wait for the film to come out to see it.

I did get some footage of the take off and crash site on my Canon A640 and a couple of others launched that day including one that ran out of thrust and came back down after a hundred feet or so of accent. Of the 20 or so launched that afternoon 4 exploded and another 5 came down or had a bounce effect. Someone told me the local village where these were made were not very experienced with this device but the failures made for some excitment !

The brothers are filming at another festival next weekend where there are a lot of big rockets some in the 1000 kg range so I will try to get some better footage of the days launches.

Edited by Bangkokpyro

Interesting heads up. Looking forward to the full movie.

Thanks Bang.

Don't know if I get a coffee mug or not but I will definatly be excited when this DVD shows up at my door.