APC Forum

Can Anyone answer this question

Dean411

kelidescope shell. There is a tutorial on skylighter. Follow the instructions, but with one color

I love kelidescope shells, and would love to see that tutorial on skylighter, but can't find it.

This is really it: http://www.skylighter.com/skylighter_info_pages/article.asp?Item=53

There isn't much, but it's a short description. There is a more in depth tutorial on passfire. The effect is really not that complex to prepare actually. Focus on being able to get nice round breaks before trying these pattern type shells. Pattern shells are much easier to make look like garbage from subpar breaks in my experience. They also tend to use softer breaks so that the pattern is a little more condensed and recognizable. This is more true for shapes and images than these more geometric patterns. Still, if you have to rely on substantial quantities of flash or boosters to get round breaks, you might need to revisit your methods. An over-broken pattern shells really looks awful.

There are a lot of neat variations on this type of shell if you look around and images and videos. I'm a fan of the variation where there is a full inner petal of some colored stars, and the kaleidoscope portion is composed of a nicely contrasting tailed composition.

I believe the easiest way is to compose about 8 or 10 packets of stars in a thin rice or wax paper and glue or secure them in a spaced out pattern in each hemisphere. I'm going to try this in a 4 inch when I get back from vacation. I can't see anything smaller really working to well.