APC Forum

How prime cylindrical stars ?

Jordan123

Hi,

Have you got technical for prime cylindrical stars ?

And wath is the best prime for the glitter and veline stars and strobe stars ?

I have a lot of problem of ignition for my stars in the bomb i must use lot of BP for ignition...

My BP rise is not good enough for ignition all stars in the bomb.

Sorry it's my first topic and i have a very bad english excuse me

its difficult to say what prime to use for cylindrical stars without knowing your formula.

Please post your formula so that members can tell you what prime to use.

In Some cases (metallic stars) using bp only wont insure ignition, you will have to use hot prime like

bp +silicon which works almost in every case.

Other hot primes are also there,post your formula first.

For most glitters I use just Meal Bp, for veline and strobes 1 layers of Hot prime and 1 layer of Meal Bp should to it's job.

try out valines super prime for valine star,bp+silicone for strobe.

Pinball prime for veline stars, bp or no prime for glitters.

Make a slurry of prime, dip the star in the slurry then in fine bp grains.

Dan.

If you use a wet process to make your stars then roll the damp star in prime powder mix then dry it

I'm scared to touch my pumped stars while they are still wet.

I sometimes slurry prime these in a bowl aswell once dried ( veline )

Dan.

Do you guys pump your stars wet enough to hold a prime? Mine are not damp enough to prime until they are fully dry and can be spritzed with a solvent.

I'm scared to touch my pumped stars while they are still wet.

I sometimes slurry prime these in a bowl aswell once dried ( veline )

Dan.

Thank you, because before i can't apply the prime ...

Thank for you technics !

If you use a wet process to make your stars then roll the damp star in prime powder mix then dry it

But if i prime after pump i'm scared why my stars risk broken..

Do you guys pump your stars wet enough to hold a prime? Mine are not damp enough to prime until they are fully dry and can be spritzed with a solvent.

Sorry i'm french i not understand this.. :/

its difficult to say what prime to use for cylindrical stars without knowing your formula.

Please post your formula so that members can tell you what prime to use.

In Some cases (metallic stars) using bp only wont insure ignition, you will have to use hot prime like

bp +silicon which works almost in every case.

Other hot primes are also there,post your formula first.

I have a lot of recipe stars, wath the recipe for the silicon ?

I tend to make them quite dry, always under 15% moisture.

Hand pumped stars for me will crumble if abused since I use syringe pumps for small stars and light hammering, however pumping with metal pumps and heavy hammering you could throw them at a wall and not break them ( these big stars have around 5 to 10% moisture )

Dan.

Me, i pump with star plate, but i not hammering, i press with my hand

Hi,

I personnaly let dry my stars,and then i put them into à bucket,spray them of solvent and add my prime,

If your stars are 100% dry they won't break,

I use bp and 10% german dark Al (for getting a higher temperatur than bp ) it work for me but it may not work with your veline star,silicon prime is better

I have also view some people putting slurry on the stars when they are in the (cylindrical) shell,and it work !

Good luck !

I let all my stars totally dry before adding prime as well. I like to be able to tumble my stars to consolidate the prime, and this would certainly destroy the stars if they were wet.

Sorry i'm french i not understand this.. :/

My question was directed at those talking about a wet process for cylinder shaped stars that you were asking about. Cylinder shaped stars are pumped which infers a fairly dry comp.

Whether I am using a star plate or star pump, I use a comp dampened with about 5-7% of a solvent. This makes the comp about as damp as brown sugar. I press the comp to about 2000 psi on each star pin and they come out rock hard. They are too dry to take prime and will not break if you drop them. I then let them dry completely and prime.

If he pumped stars will be loose filled in a shell or rocket heading, I spritz them with a dextrin liquor and roll the prime on in a bowl like when you roll stars by hand. If the stars will be stacked comets, I brush a slurry of prime on one end of them and dust with dry prime so they stack nicely.

I have a similar question, I am used to roll my stars, but now that I have a star plate, I found it a lot more easier.

If I let them dry completly, they are pressed with 2 tons press... Is it a good idea to put them in my star roller, wet them and sprinkle the prime on them or It's better to wet them, put them in a bown full of prime and shake?

Jordan... I am french too, can Help you with some questions if you ever need.

I let all my stars totally dry before adding prime as well. I like to be able to tumble my stars to consolidate the prime, and this would certainly destroy the stars if they were wet.

Yes, exactly

_____

Me before i wait my stars dry and after i wet and put my stars in prime powder, and i shaken the seal.

But, the stars add with lot of difficult the prime and if i wet more my stars , the stars is deformed after shaken, it's for its i have ask an other technics

Pumped stars will deform upon priming. In general the corners will round out. Typically they pick up prime at the corners faster than they do on the sides or top so they will start to look sort of like a dumbell or a bone or something. Slurry priming will help this, but not cure it. You can also lessen this effect by wetting the stars and letting them tumble for a while to let the moisture spread around before adding the dry prime powder. Wetting them and dusting them too fast will lead to the uneven coating. The same thing happens to round stars when you get stars shaped like rasberries out.

In Fireworks: Principles and Practices, Lancaster writes that for pressed stars that require a hot prime it is "common practice to press an increment of igniter composition on top of the illuminating composition and finally an increment of some type of blackpowder". This method was described particularly for dry pressing magnesium illuminating compositions for 24mm roman candle stars using a 10 tonne press, but I don't see why this wouldn't also work for non-magnesium fueled compositions using a wet process and a star plate. I've never tried it though.

Either you use a moist mix when pumping stars and tip each star into a tray of prime powder -the star will take up some prime into the dampness,

Or you get dry stars and dip them into a thick mix of wet prime powder -dip each end. The prime sticks when the star absorbs some of the water from the prime soup.

I try today the method of soaking in the prime wet ( and stars dry)

Hi,

this night i test 2 technics of prime, and i say this.

As for priming with black powder, I always use green mix + 10% silicon about 4oz prime for 16oz composition.

I see some talking about meal bp for priming, is it better then green mix for this purpose? I tought meal would burn too fast and may not ignite the stars?