APC Forum

6" Brocade Ball shell

VikingPyrotechnics

In general , it looked good. Shell broke nicely on apogee. But I do notice a slightly asymetrical pattern. It also seems like your stars are a bit uneven in size.I assume they are rolled? What do you use for sizing them ? Do you use screens?

Do not get me wrong, I am not trying to sound negative , just offering some constructive critisism. I apreciate you uploading stuff here, I am just being a perfectionist... :)

Keep up the good work, thanks for uploading !

Edited by fredhappy

No, you're absolutely right. And I'm always happy about criticism.

The stars were made ​​with a plate . All had the same size.

Yes, with the symmetry of the break I was not completely satisfied.

You can also see the column in the middle of the break. Where Hemis come together.

All the little things that I will try to prevent.

Edited by VikingPyrotechnics

I understand. I started out with pumped stars as well , but switched to precision rolled round stars rather quickly .

In regard to crumbly stars made with a starplate, I had some issues with that problem as well. It has to do with experience, but I find that with rolled stars this problem does not occur ( at least with me it doesn't ) . The stars are compacted under their own weight , and when using 40/60 alcohol/water for specifically brocade/willow type streamers, they come out rockhard and also dry rather quickly due to the relatively high alcohol content.

The infamous "raspberry" stars also are prevented when using a relatively high amount of alcohol, again, specifically with C based steamers.

Do you use a press to make the stars with a starplate or do you ram them? I experienced that using a press in combination with a starplate gives more uniform results. That being said, cut stars/starplates etc always give a more inferior star as opposed to precision rolling and screening them accurately (0.5 mm screens)

The seam in the middle is always worse with pumped stars, I agree... :)

Edited by fredhappy

Yes, I use a press.

I've rarely rolled stars, since I do not have a staroller.

And hand roll the stars is very Hard work. :D

Always love your job! Little bit more work with semetry and will be perfect.

As everyone has said, a very nice shell. Most of the constructive criticism has been made, though I'd add that it might have looked a bit nicer if it had less lift, though it's much better to over lift than under lift!

What formula did you use for the stars? They looked excellent. You caught it well on camera too.

Wat burst did you use, and what level of pasting?

Keep it up!

Fredhappy, your shells from recently seem to have problems with the video, it says they have been removed. Could you fix this and/or link me to another vid? Cheers :)

Yes, 10% lift was a bit much.

this is the formula that I've used. Coal was homemade pine charcoal.

And the spherical Ti, I have replaced by flake-Ti.

Burst was paulownia BP on ricehulls. (5/1)

12 layers pasted with gummed tape.

Potassium nitrate 31 Sulphur 11 Charcoal (airfloat) 39 Titanium (medium spherical) 3 Ferrotitanium (40-325 mesh) 5 Ferrotitanium (30-60 mesh) 4 Dextrin 7