APC Forum

I am a bad Boy

patsroom

Boy oh boy! I guess I scared them petty bad at an other forum. It was an electronic forum that I set off the silent alarm, and I got that real quick from them too! They just shut the door on me real quick. So I ended up saying something to the effect hey the input has slowed down and continue to ask a few simple questions and provide a drawing of the design as well. Then the “supermonitor” replied something like – because of your request we are not (the supermonitor and the other monitors) are not going to help you anymore.

End of statement closed deal! He ask for more information because he could not understand the requirements of the design I get him. He even said that the description lack sense to him.

What was this device?

What I would like to have is a electronic enhanced device that will increase the voltage of a 1.5 AAA battery and be able to deliver a single shot of current and voltage as needed to light a single Christmas light bulb

I would like to take a battery (new or used)that is > .90 to 1.5 volts and increase the volt to > 9 volts. The second requirement is for the device to operate within 1/20 of a second and discharge the voltage. A third requirement when triggered would be for the voltage to maintain the flow of current and voltage for < than ¼ of a second.

I in-vision the device to be a circuit that only consist of one AAA 1.5 battery, a capacitor and wiring. If this is the case what capacitor is needed? And what would be the best way to connect the capacitor in the circuit? Any Help would be good Thank You....Pat

Let's be honest, I come from a family tree of monkeys. Monkey see monkey do, if all else fail then just like the other monkeys pick up ____ and throw it! I have seen them do this in zoos! If it is easy I can do it and follow along, but if it gets hard I'm lost.

Is it possible to take a small 1-5V to 5V 500mA DC-DC Converter Step Up Boost Module USB Charger for MP3/MP4 on e-Bay and convert it? Their cheap and the broad is open to work on, maybe just add a few gigets and connect into the circuit. This has to be simple for a monkey to do.

Well it does need to be cheap, and I hope that someone does know how to hold a charge for as long as possible up to 24 hours or even 18 hours.

But since the devise is to be reusable if a supercap is used over time it will reduce the production and usage cost down.

Hello again, well it seems that the conversion has slowed.

But I am still in need of a little help with the finish design. My first concern is if the drawing I did provide is correct and the next would be the size and orientation of the battery and capacitor?

If this is the finish design, then I intend to use two 9 volt batteries so as to produce 18 volts for a charging unit now I do just did to know what or how to connect the capacitor(s) in order to hold a > 9 volt charge..Pat

Well this was the plan, quick and easy. I guess it won't work. Now I need a plan too to fall back on to.

I really do Thank both of you for your help and ideas. I hope that you may be-able to help me as I am not knowable of electronic, but I can soldier a little. I thank you both so much for your time....Pat

I did take a look at both links. I can read schematics but sometime need to check what a symbol means. Thank you for the link they are good ones, but I was hoping for a quick and dirty build.

Looking at e-Bay they sell converters that are close to my requirement but not quit. Some of these converters step - ups are cheap and if it is possible to just remove a few parts and then replace with others might be the way for me to go. These thing have the coil loop mounted, most of the resistors should be right and the capacitors should be as well. If that would be the case need I would only need to un-soldier just a very few parts and replace them with better part upgrades. (I hope) But I would still need help in locating which parts and what new rating of the replacement parts. Thank for hanging in there with me..........Pat

Having thought about what has been said, that a capacitor will hole a charge. If one was to first energized a capacitor to 12 volts, then remove the power source, just how long would a capacitor hold a charge and would that charge be able to compete the circuit as required?

If it could be done that away then that may be the way to go. I intend to use a design that is quick and cheap. That must or should be able to hold a charge for hopefully a 24 hour period and be able to energize a 12 volt Christmas tree light at the end of that time.

This may all be just wishful thinking and placing to much faith in electronics but it is just that I feel that it can be done if approached right. Knowing what is needed is 75% of the battle the rest is time just thinking how to do it just right. So with that said I think I know what it is that is needed but for me it how to get there.

Steve that would be no problem if it did energize for a millisecond and if it did the job required (to cause a light bulb to light) duration is not the true concern. If the capacitor can hold a charge great enough to cause the light bulb to light from a 9 volt charge then hold that charge for 24 hours then it would have done its job.

So how would one wire a capacitor up to a simple circuit that would do the job required. What size capacitor is needed? I will go to micosoft paint and draw up a circuit to show my understanding but it will have to be a little later..............Thank You all ................Pat

I show the circuit here in a second. Now here is the response I got. Nothing then told they were not going to help.

Circuit.bmp

I just returned from that fourm, they remove all traces of it, everything. Now I am just wait for the ATF and Homeland Security boys to knock....Pat

What you are talking about will work. 1.5V won't do it, you would need a step up converter but there is nothing massively wrong with your 18V schematic. I would put in a resistor to limit the charging current, you will need an absolutely huge capacitor to get .25s of output and leakage is likely to be an issue after 24 hours.

So wonder what the hubbub was about? Looks like a basic CD circuit. Throwaway cameras with flashes do the same thing but not for .25s required.

Perhaps this is the way the devices were fired in bean town?

edit - reread your OP again and noted you want to charge and then discharge 18-24 hours later. Back in the day I used to repair CRT terminals. Even with a bleed resistor across the caps, the damn things would hold a charge for days. If you didn't short out the HV lead with a screwdriver to chassis before replacing the PCB, it would knock you on your ass. Didn't matter how long the power had been off or unit unplugged. Suffice to say the bleed resistors didn't do much. CRT based TV's contain similar flyback circuitry.

Edited by Bobosan

I'm no expert on the finer details of capacitor leakage, but I don't think that the HV caps in a TV are a good basis for comparison. If we assume that HV and LV caps leak at a rate of 1V/hr (I doubt it is that simple, but the basic argument holds whether they drop by x volts, x percent or x coulombs per hour) then dropping from 18V to 0V would take less than a day, and 1KV to 0V would take over a month. Just because a TV can give a nasty shock after a few days doesn't guarantee that the particular caps he chooses to use will.

What I was wanting was a device that could hold a charge for up to 18 to 24 hours, then if needed to release the charge as require. But it would have to be cheap so that cost would be low. The ideal of using a battery >.9 volts was to be able to use old used batteries, again to reduce the cost of operation of the device.

At first I thought of a 1.9 volt to 12 volt converter would work. After a few uses it would reduce the cost of using the device.

Here is the letter that got me in trouble with the new forum I tried to join. It was a PM to the supermonitor that did it.

Hello Steve,

My name is Pat XXXXXXX and I am new to you forum. The reason as to why I did not include what the usage for this device is in the tread is because I do not want it be known to the public in general. As it is possible to that this device could be used in other ways as will.

I am involved in Airsoft games here in my locale area.

I wish to use this device to light night ground flares to prevent surprise by some of the other players wearing night vision. By doing trip wire mines and placing them in a safe manner (the flares that is), it will render their equipment useless and allow the defenders a chance to defend the night position.

I plan on using road flares by cutting them into smaller pieces for about a 30 second to a full minute for the length of time needed to disable the night vision.

Now giving you this information I hope will ease your curiosity as to what the use is and you will respect my silence as to what it was to be used for and why.

All of the needed requirements were to the best of my knowledge included in all of my other posts.

Making the e-match is easy, using the flare cut down time and training and as far as making the trigger for the device there are a number of ways of doing so with a 9 volt battery. But using 9 volt batteries for a single use would drive the design cost up to much.

A 24 hour time limit for the device to be capable of, may be an over kill but then again it is a learning process.

If you need to know any thing else from me, please contact me any time.

Thank you for all of your help and interest

Patrick A. XXXXXXX

patsroomXXXXX@yahoo.com

the e-mail address above is non-working.

To make a long story short, that is if I can. :P

They the monitors just went quite, I don"t know how deep they struck their heads in the sand but they were quick. LOL

....Just because a TV can give a nasty shock after a few days doesn't guarantee that the particular caps he chooses to use will.

I agree.

The TV/CRT was just anecdotal experience that proves a charge can exist in capacitors for a longer period of time. Wasn't saying he should try TV/CRT caps at all.

Edited by Bobosan

Pat, I think the whole thing can be summed up in two words...

Too Soon...

The eletronic circuit has been pretty much figured out. The true propose of this thread was about setting off the silent alarm on an other forum with this topic. People are so quick to form judgement for the worst that it is not funny. Then they feel if there is a need to hide the information from everyone, It was intented for a useful propose, but they made it evil.

Even if it is to soon, you understand what the use is for. I was quite honest as to what I was going to use it for and their response was and is for me the issue. If I had crossed a line then yes. I am an old man and on something I remember well, it well always be to soon if we use past events as a time line to discuss a questionable subject. But it was just the reaction I got which amused me mostly. I even invited the "supermonitor" to visit this form here, I do not think he even tried or had the desire to look at this forum for a different point of view.

But that is of course his potty there and he can cry if he wants to. But sticking one's head in the sand does no good, because the rest of your body is in the open.

This use to be a free country we could openly talk of things, I have seen the time change, but I quest I am a little old school and slow to change with the time. :wub: ..........Pat

Edited by patsroom

..... It was intented for a useful propose, but they made it evil.

That seems to be how it is in Washington anyway. Can't totally blame elected representatives who were put there by paranoid constituents.

Media is driving a lot of this paranoia. I just love it when the "SUV hit the car head on and killed the driver" crap. Like it was the SUV's fault.

Pat,

You will find no judgement from me, in fact, my son went into the storage loft above the garage two nights ago and came down with our "contained cooking device", walked into the kitchen and announced out loud, "What? Too soon?" and walked away. It took us several seconds to figure out if we were angry with him or were relieved that someone pointed out the 800lb gorilla in the room.

I think you were just doing what you you do but others are not ready to move on yet thus, too soon applies there. Ask away here, I am no good with this stuff but other here may be.

Good luck

It sounds like your device is pretty close to the electronic firing systems we use in pyro. Your battery requirements are unique, but the point is to safely and remotely ignite something. There is a decent sized group of pyros who routinely develop and build their own electronics. I don't think you will find much judgement here with your intentions.

Yes I know that I would receive support here. But I never thought that I would get a reaction like that from the other forum. I was careful of not informing the other users, not sure of their uses for a device of this kind. Not being sure if they had cools or not, so not informing their general members of the useage of the device and just letting the super know thru a PM. I would have thought he would have aproach it if needed in a better way. Lession learned. :huh:

Bow is a good time for me to move on..........Pat

PS

I think that I well drop the electronics go with a 9 volt battery with the load and switch straight up.

Pat

A capacitor will never light a bulb for 30 seconds as the declining voltage would not support a lamp for that long without starting so high that the lamp blew.

Use a DC - DC converter to raise 1volt to 15volts and use this to charge a small rechargeable battery of 12v ish

What is the light bulb for ?

What the device is used for in airsoft games (this is were grown men once again revert back to their boyhood game of army) is to ignite a small section of a road flare in a safe manner to defeat the use of night vision devices use by the other side.

Now to answer your question, the light bulb is used in the making of an e-match. An e-match is use to ignite quickly for the ignition of a comp. The e-match is used in place of a fuse. For it to work the filament of the light bulb only needs to heat up very quickly in less than a second.

The intent of the circuit was to lower the over all cost of the device with a few uses. But the cost of a 9 volt battery is about 50 cents at a discount store. So now after a game it could be a month or two in between games thus the cost of batteries could be eliminated for all of the devices in use and replacement cost if needed would have been for two 9 volts if needed instead (X) number of 9 volt batteries.

Arthur as for the lamp to blow thats the idea.LOL...........Pat

Asking about a system to blow a light bulb igniter when that's precisely what was used in Boston so soon was...a poor decision.

I do not know what or how the bomb they build in Boston was made, but I know that the infor for a e-match can be found on the internet, but so can the making of ricin.

But our interest lies not in harming others, it is for the hobby of pyro. And even then someone might think that we are only interested in starting fires and burning builds to the ground.

After a car is used to run over a group of people, how soon is to soon to ask were a gas station is? The people in Boston and others places that are harmed and killed are in my thoughts and prayers, as it should have never happen. But when truth is told I know that others can and most time not believe what is said.

I know that here if I had first ask here I would have gotten help without question.

I am over it, but I was only asking for a very small up grade to a circuit that one can find by looking on the internet, as for switching the device on it can be done by varies means (user's choice) the voltage requirement is well know and easy to find a battery to do the job. And this can go on and on about how to build the device what I was wanting was just an up grade to save on the buying of a bunch of 9 volt batteries thats all. I am sure that for those with evil intent the cost of a battery is not even considered. If on the other hand I ask for a design from the ground up to ignite a e-match then I should have expected the rude behaver from the supermonitor. He could have e-mail me and said- Hey due to the recent events and not knowing who you are, I think that it would be best not to continual with this topic.

Maybe I am a little old fashion. But I was nice enough to consider that it may have been a topic that should have not been made public and therefore I had e-mail the monitor with a PM with how it was going to be used instead of posting it openly. I did have enough common sense to PM the super... And this is starting to sound to serous sorry about that maybe I should call it quit on this subject and go take my nut-so pills..... :unsure: ............Pat :P

Edited by patsroom

Pat, I think the whole thing can be summed up in two words...

Too Soon...

Understood but it is not YOUR perception that is important, it is OTHERS perception that counts.

Your right it is what others think and what they think they see that counts at times like these. I am old and stuck in a time when people did not do these kind of thing so much. But I do thank you for your time on this subject it is always nice to hear others thoughts on things. ...........Pat :) Edited by patsroom