APC Forum

PVC primer

ZoSo357

I was wondering if there was a way to test to find out the percentage of MEK in my pvc primer. The label only lists "tetrahydrofuran, methyl ethyl ketone, cyclohexanone"

But it's purple so I know it most likely contains red and violet dyes.

Many of the MSDS sheets i found for different primers contain as much as 70% MEK, where as some contain about 15%. Others contain about 40%.

I couldn't find any information on the specific brand of primer I have. (It's called VC 180 primer)

As much as it doesn't say acetone on the can, it also doesn't say it contains dye's (like many of the other primers) so I'm not sure what to believe.

The smell of it is a sort of sweet smell. It does remind me of the smell of acetone, but I'm not sure what pure MEK smells like, so for all I know it could mainly be MEK.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

The best way to determine what % of stuff you have is to distill it... I encounter the same issues when I research MSDS sheets for various consumer products. The manufacturer does not provide exact % because the mixture is probably a family secret or propietary(sp).

Which of the products would i excpect to distill out of the mixture? The acetone or the MEK?

Well I believe whatever component of the pvc mix that has the lowest boiling point. Acetone should distill first because if I remember correctly its bP is around 60C MEK is a few degrees higher(~80c)

Thanks for the help. Now if i could just require the proper distill...

I have some basic "glassware" that i use, but most of it is just glass that i found at different stores that looked suitable for certain purposes.