APC Forum

chlorate whistle ?

leedrill

in most of this guys you tube videos he claims to use chlorate in his whistles i was lead to believe that only with a good grade of perc that a whistle was able to be achieved either he has left the perc of the start or i have been misinformed .

how is this done if so what are the ratios ?

is it able to be pressed in the same manner / same pressures to consolidate ?

and if anyone knows how different will the thrust curves be to perc based fuel id imagine the low burning temp of chlorate would produce very little thrust

Maybe he will see this and chime in. Cplmac has made some incredible rockets and has been lifting large shells on them for a while. I know a few other guys who use chlorate in their whistles, the sound is different, very loud and a little raspy - just like video. I don't know the formulas they use, as they are pretty sensitive and not something I want to work on yet.

I think you have misunderstood some comments about whistle. I use Chinese perc it whistles just fine. Higher quality perc is more powerful and louder, but mine still whistles and flies. Chlorate and other whistles just are not discussed very often, but they work.

Edited by nater

Chlorate whistle is significantly more sensitive, given whistle is pretty sensitive to start with. It also burns quite a bit faster, most rockets I've seen made with it either take off like bullets or cato instantly. I would advise staying away from it, for safety reasons nonetheless.

ill take that advice for sure but would still like to know more such as i take it most that you've seen would of been with standard whistle tooling how would these fly if pressed on and endburner tooling with no nozzle and the phrase { significantly more sensitive } makes me not want to use it but would love to hear the methods involved to be able to do so i figure if it dose get used the facts ,safety precautions , and dangers of it there might be some info there to make it safer for me to handle standard whistle mix as well im always looking for new things i can change in my pyro work area to keep me safe

From my personal point of view, the reward/risk ratio is too high so I don't use Chlorate for whistle, in fact, the old snorts I know have all gone away from it due to safety concerns as well. The point being, I doubt you will get much help for fear of enabling you or from plain ignorance.

If that does not stop you than know that there is no ratio difference using Chlorate or Per-Chlorate for whistle. Good luck and get good insurance.

Edited by dagabu
  • Like 1