APC Forum

List of metal sulfur can burn with ?

DubaiAmateurRocketry

Any one here ? can some one give me a good list of metal sulfur can burn with ?

I know Zinc is really good, and iron can burn also, how about other metals ? magnesium ? aluminum ? calcium ? titanium ? copper ? etc etc etc

Any one ? thanks, i would also like to see a video of those.

magnesium and aluminium for sure. i've tried magnalium (tech. grade) with sulfur, burned darn fast. copper wn't self sustain i think, and i'm not sure what did you meant about calcium, did you even tried to google about it? Edited by Oinikis

If you mean straight up calcium metal..then I'm sure it will. But, I wouldn't even want to be near finely divided calcium metal (atleast when not under mineral oil), let alone when it's mixed with sulfur.

Calculate proper stoichiometric ratios for 2Al + 3S => Al2S3 and Mg + S => MgS Edited by AirCowPeacock

Al:S 36%:64%

Mg:S 43%:57%

MgAl (50:50):S 38%:62%

i've filed some tech MgAl from WV golf II gearbox (not sure about the ratio) mixed 2 piles of MgAl with 1 pile of sulfur, and it burned really fast

Edited by Oinikis

54:96 Al:S 36%:64%

What do you mean by this? 54.96% Aluminum and why are there 2 percentages for the sulfur?

btw- what's the usefulness of this composition?

i meant the first ones are parts, like 54 part to 96 and then i've made it into percents. the first ones are just atomic masses times moles (27 (mass of Al) times 2 (number of moles, equals 54, and so on.) it was bad worded, or whatever it is called. edited so it is less confusing.

i've made MgAl:S flash, as i said, and it was a good (fast) flash, even if it was hard to ignite. judging from fast speed, and property for being hard to ignite, i think it is quite safe flash. i tried to hit it lots of times with really heavy iron hammer, and it didn't ignited.

Edited by Oinikis

i haven't done bigger batches than 2 grams or something. i've filed some powder of a chunk of MgAl, and i do not have metal powdered machine. i just eyeballed it. 2 visual parts of MgAl to one.

I know Zn + S is supposed to burn with a green-ish flame. Would this also be true with other metals? Granted, I would imagine that if mixed with Mg, Al, Ti or any other similar metal, the flame will burn with more of a brilliant white but will the green still be there/visible?

Also, in your experience, does this produce as much smoke as the Zn+S comp. If so, I've got to be doing REALLY small amounts. A week ago I tested a very small amount of smoke comp and the neighbor in the next house over thought there was a forest fire :sleep:

Edited by BlastFromThePast

I know Zn + S is supposed to burn with a green-ish flame. Would this also be true with other metals? Granted, I would imagine that if mixed with Mg, Al, Ti or any other similar metal, the flame will burn with more of a brilliant white but will the green still be there/visible?

The flame is green because of zinc. If you use Mg or Al flame should be very bright white. Im not sure about Ti since I dont think it would burn with Sulfur.

I guess I was just associating the green with the sulfur because of the color similarities. Why do you think Ti wouldn't burn with sulfur? I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just curious as to why. Edited by BlastFromThePast

Oh those are pretty pictures...burning sulfur might become my new desktop image.

And I think this makes 1322 posts? Woot!

hey if you tried some thing can u post it ? like the video ?

What exactly are you looking to use this stuff for, what's the purpose?