APC Forum

Calcium Nitrate for an oxidiser?

ollie1016

Hello All, I've been searching around and seen that Calcium Nitrate is cheaper than Potassium

Nitrate. I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with it and could tell me a bit about it. I've searched google a bit and YouTube, but not really found a lot that's pyro related. I wouldn't be using it for my bp, but maybe as a oxidiser for some of my rockets.

Any information would be great.

Thanks

Calcium nitrate is way too hygroscopic to use in pyro mixes.

Calcium nitrate is way too hygroscopic to use in pyro mixes.

Practical pyrotechnics that is. You can still experiment with it, of course . . . ya know, for science. (;

It can be a valuable oxidizer for chemistry as stated above. It can be used to create other hard to get nitrates by double decomposition .

As stated above Calcium nitrate [Ca(NO3)2] AKA: (Norwegian saltpeter) is the extremely hygroscopic, much more than Sodium nitrate. Because of that it's not used much in pyrotechnics.

Edited by pyrowinner

But after all as pyrojig stated that 'it can be a valuable oxidizer for chemistry' Edited by pyrowinner

yes, but its normally trihydrate.

*tetrahydrate, Ca(NO3)2.4H2O

If you can get it, mix it with the carbonat of the Nitrate you wan`t to get (Maybe you need to boil). Calciumcarbonate will precipate. Also sulfates work.

You`re nitrate will stay in solution.

Probably won`t work with Barium as these Salts are insoluble too