APC Forum

Time fuse

Shizznt

Is it better to use visco fuse than 1/4 inch time fuse. If you can use visco, how do you ensure that it will ignite? I think it would be easier to use, but I'm afraid it might not be good to use on 3 inch shells.

I have used visco on my little 2" shells with no issue, I just use a tight wrap of masking tape to ensure they don't have side spit (kind of like a poor man's time fuse). However, I think that proper time fuse will give more certainty of no side spit of fire into the shell prematurely. I only use the visco in these little shells because the existing fuse hole for them is sized appropriately.

For better consistency with timing I am using time fuse with the newer projects I am starting to experiment with, like canister shells.

As for taking fire, you cut visco on a diagonal, to expose the maximum amount of powder core to fire, also, dip the tip in NitroCellulose Lacquer and dust with some BP meal or other very fine BP. I do both of these techniques on both ends of my visco in the small shells to ensure both that it takes fire reliably and give fire inside the shell.

Just my opinions and experiences.

I prefer to use time fuse or a spollette to visco. However, most consumer shells from China are fused with visco and they are fairly reliable.

Excal shells actually used to use punched and crossmatch time fuse, back when they made them with cup sets and not a solid tube.

The best thing you can do in get some time fuse, and forget about using visco for any kind of timing. You can cross match time fuse, and it's nearly 100% reliable. Plus there is no need to have to mess with bands of tape and priming slurry that have to dry.

If you are going to make multi breaks, spolettes are really almost essential to getting the breaks to pass fire effectively.

I have had failures with primed visco in inserts . They where primed with bp / Nc and a final dip in riced bp. I was very surprised that a few blew blind. Most all small shells primed in this method launched from tubes did not have this failure. Be aware that there are a few " cheap " visco's on the market . Use the good stuff ( like american visco, or a good lacquered grade of chinese visco). I prefer 1/4 time fuse where ignition is 100% critical.