APC Forum

thionyl chloride

Chemguy

Well recently I have been interested in acyl chlorides, (a HE?) but that is not what this is about. I have searched about methods to make thionyl chloride SOCl2 without much success. I have found a few, but they require PCl3 and SCl2. Which I cannot make, unfortunately. If it is possible to bypass using thionyl chloride for this then please tell me, help would be appreciated.

I know of no bypass without SCl2 or PCl3. Generally for the homebrew scientist the reaction is

SCl2 + SO3 ---> SOCl2 + SO2.

Fun stuff I know. Making SCl2 is not all that hard, but I could see it as being something you probably wouldn't want to attempt.

You're right, chlorine and molten sulfur = Bad. Also SO3 is hard to make. I think I remember an equation S2Cl2 + Cl2 + SO2 --SOCl2 + SCl2. My book on chemistry describes SCl2 as an evil smelling red liquid that when mixed with C2H4 makes mustard gas! Not encouraging.

Hmmmmm, I thought S2Cl2 was red, and SCl2 was yellow. Perhaps I'm getting a bit rusty. I personally wouldn't be too worried about making it. I have the apparatus to do it safely though.

Thankyou, you have been really helpfull! :D, I would like to try this, I have the equipment to, (just) however wouldn't the molten sulfur be impossible to get out of the flask, I have had troubles with this before when attempting small amounts of CS2.

Not if you react it all. Cl2 will react with it quickly. I don't think there will be a huge problem with it staying in there. Hot toluene can also be used to free it.