APC Forum

pyro37

hey guys,

I recently searched for some cheap rock tumblers on Google and I steped upon this website called http://www.therockshed.com/

I saw they have some pretty good prices and they also ship to Europe.

http://www.therocksh...m/tumbler4.html

http://www.therockshed.com/grit2.html

what do you think about the Lortone Model 3A, is this a good alternative for a ball mill?

they also got ceramic pellets, large cylinders and small ones; what should I choose for the Lortone Model 3A?

have any of you ordered from this website before?

sorry for my bad English.

-thanks

If you have a Harbor Freight store nearby, they have the same type mill for half the price. The first group of media 3/8x5/8 is best with this mill.

thanks for replying :)

sadly, there aren't any Harbor Freight stores here.

anyone knows any online store that ships to Europe?

I'm looking for rock tumblers as alternative of ball mill ;)

edit: please no ebay or amazon

Edited by pyro37

Hi,I've bought a lortone 3A as ball mill,and i'm really satisfied,it can run 24 hours a day,7/7days with no over heating,

I had no problem with the drive belt !

It's a great little ball mill ! ;)

Has anybody used a Covington mill ? I have seen them on e-bay & they looked pretty heavy duty!! Also come with lifetime warranty.

i have a lortone 6lb twin pot one and i use half full of lead antimony media i only put one pot on at a time and it mills like a beast i have changed the gearing though but is a perfect setup but both pots half full of lead at the same time is too much for it

• 1 month later...

I use the same tumbler as Ledrill. It handles 2 tubs half full of ceramic media and composition.

They are a bit pricey but I'm happy to pay the extra for the build quality.

Mind explaining how you changed the gearing?

i found a rubber hose that fits the roller perfectly but it pushes the mill pots up to one side is very close to having it rub on one side of the side sheet but has about 3 to 4 mm id like to draw a picture so people buying could see but im sure most understand what i mean before i found the hose i just built it up with tape i oil the bearings about every 30 hours with sewing machine oil and even if it got residue on the tape would never slip but the hose i found makes me sleep better at night i have found that the drive belt stretches quite a bit using lead media and got about 80 hours before having to tighten it the first time but had quite a bit of worn rubber so wish i had paid more attention to the tension when i got it but im lucky enough to have 2 x spare drive belts i think mumbles said he used to use one like me and found a rubber seal that works great and to try to find one rated for marine use if anyone knows where to buy these or part no.s for something to suit would be a lot cheaper than buying genuine and everyone im sure would appreciate it if you could post a source for said item

I've just ordered 2x 6lbs harbour freight rock tumblers, just wondering what diameter/ type of media people recommend for those barrels?

Ollie

I've just ordered 2x 6lbs harbour freight rock tumblers, just wondering what diameter/ type of media people recommend for those barrels?

Ollie

1/2" ceramic media is best solution.

1/2" ceramic media is best solution.

Thanks

With ceramic, just make sure it's high alumina and make sure it comes from a reputable supplier. Not all varieties of ceramic are as safe as others. If they can't or wont give you the original manufacturer and general history of the material (if used), look elsewhere.

With ceramic, just make sure it's high alumina and make sure it comes from a reputable supplier. Not all varieties of ceramic are as safe as others. If they can't or wont give you the original manufacturer and general history of the material (if used), look elsewhere.

Thanks Mumbles, I'm planning to use 14mm lead balls for my black powder, and for the other container ceramic media for refining aluminium.

Is 90% alumina media alright for milling bp,Al etc??

Edited by ollie1016

You are right, I am using for a few years ceramic alumina media brand CoorsTek ( AD-90 ).

Is 90% alumina media alright for milling bp,Al etc??

Perfectly.

Edited by max

• 1 month later...
I have a 3a also. I can't speak good enough about one of these beauties. I use it for it's advertised purpose and as a ball mill. A little on the spendy side if you can't find a sale or yard sale find. But totally worth the coin. Plus they are made right here in USA. Seattle as a matter a fact.

i have found that the drive belt stretches quite a bit using lead media and got about 80 hours before having to tighten it the first time but had quite a bit of worn rubber so wish i had paid more attention to the tension when i got it but im lucky enough to have 2 x spare drive belts i think mumbles said he used to use one like me and found a rubber seal that works great and to try to find one rated for marine use if anyone knows where to buy these or part no.s for something to suit would be a lot cheaper than buying genuine and everyone im sure would appreciate it if you could post a source for said item

This Dayton belt p/n 13V773 from Grainger is a much better substitute for the plain rubber one. It's reinforced with polyester fibers and it will not stretch and slacken. The cogged construction makes it flexible enough to go round the motor pulley without too much friction - a hard rubber one as sold by McMaster Carr will not, and it will eventually wear right through the plastic drive pulley and turn it into a washer. This one is a little larger (13 inches) than the belt supplied (12 inches), but a 12 inch won't fit because unlike the plain rubber, it can't be stretched.

This Dayton belt p/n 13V773 from Grainger is a much better substitute for the plain rubber one. It's reinforced with polyester fibers and it will not stretch and slacken. The cogged construction makes it flexible enough to go round the motor pulley without too much friction - a hard rubber one as sold by McMaster Carr will not, and it will eventually wear right through the plastic drive pulley and turn it into a washer. This one is a little larger (13 inches) than the belt supplied (12 inches), but a 12 inch won't fit because unlike the plain rubber, it can't be stretched.

thanks peret now i cant see that wearing out or stretching

It's weird, I've got a 6lbs harbour freight rock tumbler , and all you see online it's belts snapping! ( touch wood) I have been running my ball mill with 5lbs loads for 85 hours now and the belt is fine! Oiled it abit which helped alot.

You've been lucky so far. I don't know what makes the belts fail. I used to run mine for a couple of days and on inspection the belt was fine, but then two weeks later when I got it out to use again, the belt was a mass of cracks and failed almost immediately. After I went through all my harbor freight replacements, and a couple of O ring substitutes, I switched to proper engineering belts. The first one, hard rubber from McMaster Carr, worked fairly well but wore right through the drive pulley, as related above. Then on my 3 pound mill I tried a very thin toothed timing belt, which is still good but has worn the round groove in the drive pulley flat and will surely break out of it soon. I found some Dayton cogged belts removed from other equipment that fit perfectly, except they were much too long. I was pleased when I found out where to get them the right size.

After going through several HF replacements, I purchased a bag of these about 3 years ago and still have 24 left.

http://www.mscdirect...roduct/75749622

Edited by Bobosan