APC Forum

"Singing" rockets

BurritoBandito

Expensive project too...

Expensive project too...

Meh, only as expensive as you make it. PCV pipe can be cheap and scraps from plumbers are free. The whistles can be 3/4" ID and 2" long, I could make 100 from a pound of whistle. Imaging a "Pop goes the weasel" run with a ground bomb? Easy-peasy.

Yeah but then think about how much powder it would take to play something like dream theaters "Octavarium" (it's a 16 minute long song). I mean, if you're gonna play a song with pyrotechnics you might as well make a soundtrack for a show or something. Shit, if I could do it, I'd use the whistles as an instrumental for an actual performance. Edited by BurritoBandito

Sorry, Octavarium. I accidentally typed Octavariumm the first time and I guess my phone auto selected the whole word when I went to delete the second m. I have some idea what it would sound like. I watched that video Nater posted on page one of this thread. I think it could be done though. It would just be an expense PITA to make (and trouble shoot) the song in it's entirety. Some of the more exotic chords may need to be simplified to avoid muddying up the tone, or maybe you could accentuate the root notes by adding in a second octave to support it harmonically. I think even with known length/pitch values for the tubes it would require a lot of trial and error to get the chord tonal qualities right. Are you a DT fan?

Edit: BTW, That steam calliope was pretty damned awesome.

Edited by BurritoBandito

Just from '91 and on with James LaBrie as lead vocalist, I didn't like the early stuff much. I have always thought they were years ahead of the other bands at the time, Pull Me Under was a prime example of that as they paved the way for so many fantastic bands that had their hay day in the 1990's.

\m/ I dig their more odd songs like "The Dance of Eternity". But yeah that was a pretty popular song of theirs. It got a decent amount of radio play which is rare for a good prog song.

Parts are very Tool-esque, not crazy about the 808 in the background, sounds cheap.

Yup sometimes Jordan rudess can be a bit cliche sounding, but he's very talented.

I'm sorry. I lied. Octavarium is actually 24 minutes long, which is nothing compared to "Six Degrees of Inner Turbulance" (42 minutes).