APC Forum

Comets

kpknd

I have been looking at some glitter comets on youtube and looked at how they are made. It seems to be fairly simple.

So now I'm thinking if trying to make some for rocket headings or small mortars, not much more than 1" probably.

Any hints tips or suggestions?

Thanks.

If you find a good long tailed formula, let me know.

Ground tests will not give an impression of the result. And most glitter formulas around are not suited for comets, much too slow burning. If you press a typical Winokur formula into a standard comet, showing a lenght the same as the diameter, you will have the thing come back, hit the ground and probably glitter there for another few seconds.

My experience says that gunpowder is a vital ingredient not only in glitter comet formulas.

A core burning comet should help with some of those issues, just need to make specialized tooling for it (strait "spindle" with a cored ramming plug). Yet another thing I really want to experiment with... I'm hoping to have a few 4" glitter comets to test at our club shoot in May. Of course for that size you need a press to compact the material. Edited by flying fish

I made some 3/4" comets using C8 comp. I did a ground burn test on one and it seemed to burn for 2 seconds. Of course, ground testing isn't optimal but I'm fairly certain it would work well as an ascending comet, granted you were to do a traditional wrapping and shell pasting to minimize the flame taking on more than just the top. I do wonder though, the way it burns in comparison to the way I would expect a comet to burn is a little off in my mind.

I have been looking at some glitter comets on youtube and looked at how they are made. It seems to be fairly simple.

So now I'm thinking if trying to make some for rocket headings or small mortars, not much more than 1" probably.

Any hints tips or suggestions?

Thanks.

I needed a little more height on this one and the position was 90° off but these comets are 39J and are also used as rocket delay. It leaves a nice 300' tail.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3f-EWy1pCM&safe=active