APC Forum

Two Stage Water Rocket, 810'

NightHawkInLight

Maybe you all have seen this before since the video is a few years old, but this blew me away:

I've seen two liter science fair sorts of water rockets before, but I had no idea they could be made with the kind of thrust to lift a second stage! That makes me want to build a two stage water rocket and see how far I could push it...

2 stages? Make the first 3 stage.

Nope, hadn't seen it. Pretty neat.

How is the second stage on one of these "popped". Really long string?

Wow...a friggin Gardenia water hose coupler using gravity lock in this slick setup. This guy looks at a BIC pen in more ways than the obvious!

very impressive needs to lift atleast a 3 inch ball shell though so yeah 3 stage i think would be the go haha

• 2 weeks later...

Really got into water rockets prior to pyro, thought it was safer with small kids, and heck, who doesnt like to play with the water hose in the summer. We ended up making rockets out of 8` florescent tube covers with 2 liter "bottle tops" glued into place. You can pressurize these well over 150psi and with the correct set up can obtain +1000` altitude. Mine never went that high but it really really is something to behold.

Without a ready source of flame getting these things to deploy a parachute is some kind of exercise in almost complete futility! Buried plenty of nose cones all the while yelling "run run its coming down"!

That's awesome, even though my 4oz whistle could go that high, it's still cool.

When I went to a HPR shoot, it always amazed me how close to the launch area rockets usually landed. With the parachutes those things have, and the altitude, I was surprised they weren't coming down miles away.

• 2 weeks later...

That's because rockets fly into the wind, despite logic.

The logic is actually sound... X and Y access are independent of one another as a rocket is fired directly up fighting gravitys pull (y) the force of wind (x) pushing on the side of a rocket will affect the lightest part of the rocket first which is the bottom where the fuel is either burned or in the case of something like a water rocket is expelled leaving the weight at the top causing it to be pushed into the wind by the wind.

You're right about that, it seems to go against what we know, I just wanted to leave a quick explination as to the why for folks who may not know.