APC Forum

paper match machine

bob

Well it's almost completed.

Here a bunch of pictures of it, just need to cut the one bord, put on a different collecting spool and crank.

I haven't used it much but it seems farly good so far, it uses one roll of tape instead of two like most seem to. I'm using painters tape right know but most tapes should work with it. After making this one I can see the good points about using two pieces of tape well making the machine, however I think this might be better match in the end because there is only one seem that can come appart.

In the second picture you can see how the roll of tape is held in by a skewer and two pieces of wood that keep it from going side to side; and a second skewer that keeps the tape down close two the wood.

On the third picture you can see the tape going into a guide that keeps the tape in line and from going up.

On the fourth picuture you can the tape in the guids getting bp droped on from the funnel and then going enbetween the two pieces of dowelling that support the funnel.

On the fifth picture you can see a popsickle stick that keeps the tape from folding the wrong way ie sticky side out.

On the sixth picure you can see the tape that now has the black powder in it go into those yellow things which happen to be dowelling wrapped in a foam matt to fold the tape together.

on the seventh picture you can see the finished match comming out from the foam and onto the collecting spool (that will be replaced soon by a bigger one).

So you do you guys think?

bob

post-12936-0-83886300-1365625300_thumb.jpg

post-12936-0-07255000-1365625309_thumb.jpg

post-12936-0-58093700-1365625324_thumb.jpg

post-12936-0-90953600-1365625333_thumb.jpg

post-12936-0-16578700-1365625354_thumb.jpg

post-12936-0-59247700-1365625372_thumb.jpg

post-12936-0-36557600-1365625388_thumb.jpg

Edited by bob
  • Like 1

cool machine, nice job. you probably shoot lots of shells, if you need a machine, don't you?

cool machine, nice job. you probably shoot lots of shells, if you need a machine, don't you?

Thanks. Well no I don't really shoot that many I just like having machines do it for me you know how it is

So would this the same as sticky match? I've read about sticky match but haven't seen any discussion on APC. Is this type match no longer used for pyro? Edited by Bobosan

No I wouldn't call it sticky match, since sticky match is supposed to have some of the sticky side showing; and able to take fire from random sparks, but this stuff will be more like quick match.

Bob

• 2 months later...

Nice design mate, does the powder move around much once the fuse is finished

Thunder.

No it doesn't really move around at all.

I built my fourth machine a few weeks ago, it's quite nice and has an aluminum base; the piece of aluminum is the bottom as well as all of the side piece (all one piece) it took a while cutting out with a hack saw! The funnel is plastic.

This set up works quite nicely as the sticky side of the tape only rubes up against the rollers which spin quite nicely so it's no big deal.

The first time I tried it out I made 7.7 meters in 6 3/4 minutes.

It uses two pieces of tape instead of one like my first one did.

The masking tape takes quite a bit to burn through so you have to cut open a slot to stick in the fuse, however that makes it better if you don't want it to get lite from random sparks.

the tape stays nicely in line on the collecting spool and doesn't go all over the place which allows you to make quite a bit of fuse at one time.

The aluminum is fairly thick so it's quite strong. Much nicer then my last one I built which was made mostly of plastic.

bob

post-12936-0-63230200-1373398539_thumb.jpg

Edited by bob
  • Like 1

Amazing Bob. Ingenuity level-9 here!

Funnel is hard to see...I think it's the clear thing near blue tape?

• 3 weeks later...

Just completed a test version of a papertape QM machine.

For shells and stuff I prefer normal QM, this is just building tools for fun.

Here is an older version for a clear view of the design:http://www.pyrobin.c...M version_1.jpg

This is the new version with pulverone feed, nylon guidewire/channelformer: http://www.pyrobin.c...eQM machine.jpg

funnel is made from two wedged pieces of plastic and thin copper sheet, everything is in close proximity now to prevent a wide band of pulverone reducing the tackiness of the tape.

key to succes is a proper diameter nozzle opening under the pulverone buffer, for a steady stream of material.

pulverone is approx <35 mesh

A video of the finished match, I have no idea of reliabillity other than passing a tied knot. obviously its not waterproof.

http://www.pyrobin.c...papertapeQM.mp4

Edited by burningRNX

Just completed a test version of a papertape QM machine.

For shells and stuff I prefer normal QM, this is just building tools for fun.

Here is an older version for a clear view of the design:http://www.pyrobin.c...M version_1.jpg

This is the new version with pulverone feed, nylon guidewire/channelformer: http://www.pyrobin.c...eQM machine.jpg

funnel is made from two wedged pieces of plastic and thin copper sheet, everything is in close proximity now to prevent a wide band of pulverone reducing the tackiness of the tape.

key to succes is a proper diameter nozzle opening under the pulverone buffer, for a steady stream of material.

pulverone is approx <35 mesh

A video of the finished match, I have no idea of reliabillity other than passing a tied knot. obviously its not waterproof.

http://www.pyrobin.c...papertapeQM.mp4

How does this paper match compare to normal QM?

I have to do some testing first.

Something that I think that's important is storage stability, it might come apart maybey, I don't know.

So I put some in storage and check it now and then, and wrinkle it a bit, such things.

another thing that I will know is what happens when I tie it up to get some delay.

I've tried it once and it worked, but its still something without a continuous layer of BP so testing has to be done.

this kind of tape leaves burning debree.

and it might take some fire from the side easyer than normal QM I think, improper alignment or just bad luck could left some tape untouched and could leak BP ect ect.

So its inferior to normal QM imo.

pulverone only ;) key part of this endavour was to make QM-like material without the hassle of making BM or kraft pipe's.

the first foto of the older design was a test with normal blackmatch, i forgot to mention that sorry.

Sorry for the delay, Here are the pictures of the funnel, I think the clear thing you saw was the green tape (the lighting made it look clear on one side of the funnel.

My match seems to be quite water proof.

at what speed does your match burn at burningrnx?

bob

post-12936-0-10717500-1375127526_thumb.jpg

post-12936-0-00053800-1375127531_thumb.jpg

I don't know exactly, but from what I saw its just like normal QM, very fast, I don't have the ability to test several meters without making too many noise.

Ive upgraded the machine somewhat.

The nylon wire is there to get a open channel which speeds up the burnrate to explosive :P and its verry strong, so I don't have to worry about the match being torn apart.

The paint rollers are swapped for an more sturdy foam roller the same size as the tape, and a very thin extended brass funnel, it has the abillity to incorporate a bifurcation into it with a second piece of the same type match now.

I already tested some of it with some knots in it, to get a kind of delay witch seems to work ok.

I also swapped the tape rolls for a more waterproof type ;) its more sticky I think, because the confinement seems to be better resulting in a much harder crack than the paper fuse.

http://www.pyrobin.c...0729_190430.jpg

http://www.pyrobin.c...0729_121826.jpg

http://www.google.nl...40&tx=147&ty=89 :P

Yours looks good also, you can make sticky match!, I just overlooked the second machine.

Edited by burningRNX

The nylon line is a good idea for strength. It looks like twisted nylon. I suppose you could also use nylon single strand fishing line?

You can use anything you like that leave's a proper channel, thats the main purpose of it.

You can use anything you like that leave's a proper channel, thats the main purpose of it.

Wouldn't something consumable (like cotton twine) be better than a burning, drippy plastic material like nylon?

WSM

After passing fire the nylon wire didn't burn in most cases, but it leaves undegradable debree, its better to collect it and dispose of it properly.

Maybey its better to use something like good quality flax twine, it has a good strength and is consistent, although its thinner, so i think it has to be tested.

I've got this nylon for free, so that's the main reason I use it.