APC Forum

5 inch shell booster.

TritonPyro

After saying that I do not make any flash, I found that my 1/2 kilo of stars plus other bits and pieces ignited perfectly with a much larger circle with a small part of perc/ al.It was a 2 gram mix on top of the stars separated with tissue. Main charge on top of time fuse was a Baggie of BP. Well, what a difference that made! Although I am still not a great fan of flash, the fact of the effect was a great improvement. Edited by TritonPyro

So if I'm understanding you correctly, you filled one half with BP and the other half was flash?

If you read it correctly, which you did not, I said 2 grams of flash ( very small amount) with my usual Baggie of 12 grams of BP. How could you think that? I also said half a kilo of stars, which almost fills the shell. Are you that stupid? Edited by TritonPyro

Are you serious? First off, I don't think it's fair to be calling people stupid, especially when they are beginning in the hobby. Secondly, when I said half BP half flash, I was referring to the fact that your two seperate hemispheres when open obviously have stars in them in some configuration but that one hemi had the BP and the second hemi had your flash. Thats all I meant by saying half BP half flash.

- I don't what your deal was with saying that but I don't appreciate it and I don't think others would either.

Edited by BlastFromThePast

Well sunshine, if you are starting in this hobby do please read a post before making a dumb comment. If you read my post then I would not be calling you stupid. Yes, I am serious. Your comment was half filled with BP and half filled with flash. Edited by TritonPyro

Come on man, dial it down. Even though you were rude, no one is attacking you. Just let it go--no need to build grudges.

You were rude Triton, very unnecessarily so. You answered a simple clarification question by being condescending and accusing the person of being stupid. You're not going to make too many friends around here if you insist on treating people like that.
  • Like 1

APC is not very friendly to EU anyway that have annoyances. You did not read my post either and all I wanted was a intelligent post to mine. All I got was a typical flash type, one sentence retort even after I said what my composition was. All you want is a blow by blow posting about this. I am not going to keep up a post that was just to see what other people have done with a small booster charge. My interest was with mumbles account with a hard break on a spider shell. I am not a rude person, but do not suffer foolish people.

Whether you felt your first post was clear or not, apparently BlastFromThePast was unclear on something. He asked a simple question and in return you were EXTREMELY rude. His question was NOT stupid, simply one that someone new might ask to be sure he did not misuse information he read.

You also did NOT ask any sort of question about "what other people have done with a small booster charge" your post was a straight statement, it did not ask for comment or reply in any way.

I have seen YOU ask some questions that other people could just as readily called "stupid" and seen everyone treat you with respect and do their best to answer your questions or clarify something for you without calling you stupid or telling you that you read it wrong or not at all.

In my opinion you should probably step back a bit on accusing people of things when you are not perfect.

It was clearly a misunderstanding to me. You don't have to be a jackass about it. It's not as if he was taunting or belittling you. Your response was completely unwarranted. Clearly we here at APC are the unfriendly ones though.
  • Like 1

WOW, this sure strayed off topic and became personal.. :wacko:

The use of flash in shells is ever more present in modern day shells. The 70/30 being the least blinding IMO v.s slower ( nitrate flash) , due to it being so reactive and fast. The blinding flash is consumed before the shell breaks, and smothered in the bp gases escaping the shell on break. I have seen a major improvement in symmetrical breaks with the aid of flash booster. 5grams is more the ball park you may be after , unless your shells are over pasted ( requiring less booster). Whistle is my 2nd favorite for booster due to the lack of any blinding effect and performs almost as good .

If you were after the effect in the last break of my spider shells, you're not using nearly enough flash. Those contain between 12 and 15g of 70/30, plus a very healthy amount of polverone(500g maybe?)

Thanks pyro jig for your post. This is what I was looking for. I use whistle on my shells for break and dust the stars with BP or coated hulls. This is the first time I have used flash as a booster and was pleased with the results. Still not happy really with making it, but its a great component for it. Sorry now I even mentioned it! Edited by TritonPyro

I havn't tried whistle booster, but I'm thinking about making a 25 shot 1" cake and want to be able to make the shells as easily as possible, so poor confinement and hot burst. Normally I would just use flash, but I do my best to avoid Vitamin F.

I have used Benzolift, and it gives nice strong breaks with small shells (< 3") even when very little is used.

I agree Acp, although I have seen some benzolift hot and some a little mediocre. I am not sure what the difference is with making it with saliciate or Benzoate. Only made it with saliciate as the container of Benzoate was prilled and waxy. I used it once mixed with BP , as I was low on lift and it was fine, but only 2 grams with 10 of BP. Not sure if I would repeat it though, more of a blam than a BP thud, but not good practice, I think. Have had great breaks with cylinder shells with benzo, but use a little BP dusted over the stars. Post about your cake you are making, I have never made one.

I make my Benzolift using the hottest meal I have. I coffeemill and screen my prilled sodium benzoate. I then screen together 30g of meal, 21g of Sodium benzoate, and 1g of Red Iron Oxide for every 100g of Benzolift. After that I screen together 49g of KClO4 and the meal-benzoate-catalyst mixture for every 100g of Benzolift. Then I dissolve 2g of Red Gum in 10ml of Acetone or Alcohol for every 100g of Benzolift. I add more solvent until I reach disered consistancy and then grate through a 20 mesh kitchen screen.

I result in very hard, finen brownish grains of very hot Benzolift. It burns much faster when confined than BP, although at STP only a little faster--spits alot more heat and flame though, burnt my finger bad when I first made this stuff.

Edited by AirCowPeacock

Have not made it with Iron Oxide. I have seen a few recipes for it and mine is loud, is there any difference with it as a catalyst? Interesting.

You shouldn't be sorry about mentioning flash, you should be sorry about acting like a Jack ass. Obviously he was unclear about something. You just showed you're an ass and the fact you don't see anything wrong or attempted to apologize proves you're an ass. Hopefully people remember when you have questions in the future. Let the APC keep the EU man down because it happens so much.

Ready messaged and the whole thing is done. Really easy for you to keep up a flame. Give it a rest now ffs. Edited by TritonPyro

You shouldn't be sorry about mentioning flash, you should be sorry about acting like a Jack ass. Obviously he was unclear about something. You just showed you're an ass and the fact you don't see anything wrong or attempted to apologize proves you're an ass. Hopefully people remember when you have questions in the future. Let the APC keep the EU man down because it happens so much.

I think your post just about sums it up! get out of APC

Guys, seriously, TritonPyro and I have worked this out. There's no need to keep at it. I was the one whom it was directed at and it's nothing we need to keep talking about. We're beating a dead horse here. Let's all please move on and keep to the topic of discussion.

Why do you guys think that everyone here is got something against people from EU?