APC Forum

the end of the pyro hobbyist in europe ?

val77

Well...That sucks. The US typically lags behind Europe by about 10 years in terms of regulation, but I expect the same will be happening here sooner than later.

It wouldn't surprise me if it happened here in the usa in the next 2 or 3 years . I hope it waits till I'm 18 but might not .

I hope that this is not for real.

This is really screwed up. Maybe you should move to Asia or something. There's nothing on any of the "Annex I" chemicals, only when purchasing strong acids does one have to show ID so they can record the purchase. It's really hard to find visco here though because all the Chinese firework companies deal in container loads only.

Do someone here got experience with bulk buys from alibaba.com or similar places. How is the cost for shipping pallets or containers internationally? Edited by mathiasxx94

I don't know, but even one container is considered small to those guys, and it would take many hobbyists to fill a container. I don't know where to get visco in Taiwan because it seems they aren't allowed to sell visco... some have said to use sparklers as fuse.

man, that sucks. and it won't reach any terorists at all. for example, Anders Breivik did his explosions with ANFO. for getting tons of ammonium nitrate, he created whole fake farming company, and bought several tons of it. so then, i could not go to garden shop and buy some KNO3 and sulfur for few farts in the sky, but various angry bastards, could legaly buy tons of even more dangerus AN. you do not need even to create, you can buy it from a farming company via bribing, which ordered some for you. you won't stop terrorists, becouse they can make chlorates, without anyone even noticing, or buyng tons of "fertilizers" fr they "company". also, most terrorist are from middle east, and such. and if they won't get exploives, they would just jack planes. such a no brainers, maybe instead of derpin' with this s*** they should make normal payment for farmer here, becuse they get much less than for instance in France, and they get it for farming area, not from stuff harvested. so most of peple get theyr payment, and do nt even harvest it. would humans with brain could do this?

This is already the case in Canada since 2009. All the chemicals you listed in Annex1 and 2 exept the acetone are prohibited for us. So each time you order something online, even small quantity you have a chance to get in trouble... BUT you can still buy guns and knives ,,, imo much more dangerous then some kno3 or perchlorate, stupid gouvernement. For them, fireworks cant be a hobby,

I wonder if it's more about fire safety as well. Given how unforgiving it is to mistakes, someone starting out in pyro burning down his and his neighbor's houses will probably make pyro look even worse. I still feel the solution is some kind of organization that self-polices itself (like rocketry) where certain "more dangerous" chemicals require certification from the organization to buy, just like high powered rocket motors. You can still make decent fireworks using nitrates, and most of them won't self-ignite like chlorate based comps could. Perhaps PGI should come forward with some kind of scheme to make the government sleep easier and prevent worse regulations from being adopted?

It's hard to find an answer. Maybe if Pyros that buy chemicals and construct shells etc, might be recognised as amateur firework makers. The ones around here think flash is the end all and just make enormous bangs. No stars and effects..........it annoys the people around them and brings police presence. I personally would not like a boomer living next to me. The way things are going, I will out of this within the next couple of months. Just a lot of stuff to get rid of, which is a shame as all the efforts have been learnt via APC and nobody else.I really do not want the hassle. Edited by TritonPyro

As I see it will be legal to posess most things but illegal to use them. Nothing changes, just the prices and purity.

Dan.

What if you sold perchlorate with 60% KCl added to it? The Chloride easily washes out (especially for perchlorate) yielding pure chemical. The residue won't interfere with the color either. It's the same as Skylighter mixing MgAl turning in their MgAl so that they can be shipped.

Or mix the perc with big chunks of potassium chloride (Or even more useful chemicals such as KNO3) that easily screens out.

Edited by taiwanluthiers

While not really necessary for most pyro projects...The most striking thing to me was that acetone would be controlled! Such a common solvent sold by the gallon in every hardware store (well, in the US anyway). I realize it can be a precursor to something explosive but still seems pretty absurd to me. Why don't they start controlling water so that you can't electrolyze it into an explosive mixture of hydrogen and oxygen.

Indeed life without acetone seems like a miserable one. And TATP doesn't really seem like a feasible explosive to me. Certainly it can and (has?) atleast been attempted to be used, but the sensitivity makes transportation exceedingly difficult and production in large quantities likely disastrous.

You know they might start controlling every aspect of the people's lives. I mean European countries already treats their citizen like children...

Government is just a reflection of the people. If the government treats you like children it's because the people voted for those who believe that people should be treated like children, and creating laws to enforce that state of mind is publicly, and therefore politically, favorable. Educate everyone you can about the danger of that road and maybe there's an ever so slim chance that the public will open their eyes to see that they are what's wrong with the government. Maybe the grip can still be loosened, or at least be held back a little longer. Edited by NightHawkInLight

Government is just a reflection of the people. If the government treats you like children it's because the people voted for those who believe that people should be treated like children, and creating laws to enforce that state of mind is publicly, and therefore politically, favorable. Educate everyone you can about the danger of that road and maybe there's an ever so slim chance that the public will open their eyes to see that they are what's wrong with the government. Maybe the grip can still be loosened, or at least be held back a little longer.

I don’t think it will make a whole lot difference if you look at the documentation they have missed a lot of issues, the EU is something the British don’t take a lot of notice of it certainty has done us no favours, my views on this are when and if it comes in to place it will be a question of not what you know but who you know or register yourself as a company, of course cost will increase on oxidisers, the EU is bunch of shit Brussels’s is the butt end of the world. Christ we are paying millions to bury our best head of state this week and she passed amateur rocketry for the UK for use. As far as I am concerned up the EU all you will do is drive us underground. Any British out there vote BNIP next month, you never know you may get a job!

To me the principal idea of such legislation is not condemnable. If it prevents uneducated individuals from doing damage to themselves or others, or even only shed a bad light on the field as a whole, it is a means worthy of support. There is no single field of human action where the uneducated should be given any room. Let us be honest and admit that abuse does exist in the field of pyro as it does in any other. I personally will not miss those who practice unwisely, the flash powder addict or misguided HE kiddie.

Against this background the real question remaining to me is whether the educated will be opened ways to practice legally, or in other words, if there will be created institutionalized means of conducting the hobby legally, be it on a private or community basis.

I don't think there's anything that will make much difference either, but it's all there is to try. Backpedaling government regulation is about as rare an event as they come. Typically it takes a forced restart, which usually comes with a whole lot of violence and periods of history you hope your lifespan avoids.

Edit: That's a fair thought Don.

Edited by NightHawkInLight

Are there any other cites to what is happening in the EU other than this YouTube video? Our EU members seem to be reacting as if they knew nothing about this when surely they must have heard about forthcoming regulations at some point other than now. Edited by Bobosan

In the EU it is very often the case that some a group of so called "experts" make a consideration, which will then be turned into a law without any reflection. (See the ban of the light bulb) Many regulations are made wihouth the knowledge of the public.