APC Forum

My first veline stars

ACLIGHTADDICTED

Hi

Im about to make my first veline stars (i would try blue first)

I used the search engine but could not find something, it is enough wenn i screen all chems together with a 100mesh sive?

I would pump the stars after what should i use to wet the composition? 70/30 water/alcohol?

And how much should i use? About 10%

Thanxs for your help

AC, I just happened to make Veline stars over the weekend. I mostly was playing with the different color combinations it has to offer. You can get away with screening with a 20 mesh but if your chems pass through a 100 mesh than that is even better. SInce the Veline Comp has Dextrin you can wet it with 100% water. Just try not to over wet the mix. My 3/8 Pumped stars dried in less that 2 hours in the hot sun.

• 3 weeks later...

I'd say a 20 mesh is usable, but ideally it'd be finer. Similarly 100 mesh would be awesome, but unnecessary. Ultimately people use the screen they have, but ideally I'd suggest something like 50 mesh for mixing.

I also agree than it's better to use 100% water than to add Alcohol. Adding alcohol does nothing substantial (slightly faster drying and lower surface tension are not big deals), and adding 30% is going to cost you in money and performance... that much alcohol will affect the binder. If you insist on adding alcohol at least use Grey Goose or Hennessy so you can feel posh as fuck and elitist, because that's about the only benefit to it.

The solvent content depends on the composition you are using, and exactly how you are consolidating it. More pressure = less solvent needed. I'd say 10% is a bit on the dry side for a coloured composition hand consolidated. I usually find that coloured mixes need 15-20% water to pack down nicely.

The exact content will vary from person to person based on the particular chemicals the have, how they prepared them, and personal preference so we cannot give you an exact and confident answer. As they say, add less rather than more and have some dry powder set aside in case you add too much water. You can always ad a few drops more.

You will also want to match the stars in size to the intended purpose. I´m just saying this because also I tend to make them too large/too long burning to be usable. 3/8" will probably require at least a 4" shell to be reasonable, and pumped stars usually burn even longer than for example cut ones.

• 3 weeks later...

The veline stars produce fantastic bright colours. But at a cost, they are more expensive than other compositions.

I usually remove the red gum and parlon and use a binder called "phenolic resin" fantastic binding agent,

If you're doing a 100g batch add in 10 % phenolic resin and so on if your doubling the ratios etc.

BIND WITH ACETONE

• 1 month later...
Thanx a lot for all the answers, i had no internet in the past but the stars worked out grate.