APC Forum

2" Big Daddy Thundermug

Wiley

Anybody own one of these, or maybe heard one fired? Looks to be a quality piece, and the shipping is free. How loud are these compared to a 2" commercial salute? If you own one, how much and what granulation of BP did you use, and what type of packing material?

• 2 months later...
I don't own one but heard one fired 3 times just a few days ago. he used homemade bp and TP for packing.. loud..

Hi, I've had one for years and it is a blast. I take it out every 4th and send beer cans up into the stratosphere. I usually use a 35mm film can (about an ounce) of black powder for each shot. I don't know where you can find one as I have a friend that has a foundry and we cast several of them and then bored them out to size. I have also used a layer of plastic film over the black powder and then packed it with damp newspaper for a report. I understand they originally made for signaling purposes. They do give a loud report but not as sharp as a salute.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a large thunder mug and a medium thunder mug !

The large one I fill within a inch and half from the top with H M BP 4-5 F powder made with black willow and top it off with two slices of bread lightly packed .

The medium mug I fill it within one inch of the top with the same powder and top it off with one slice of bread .

All I can say is Wow !!!!! when I light them off.

• 7 months later...

I am new here, and I have a thundermug. Mine I shot 2 part concussion flash out of, 1 tsp then filled with sand to top. that's the only way I got a LOUD report. I'm actually here to find a new source for flash powder. Good luck!

I am new here, and I have a thundermug. Mine I shot 2 part concussion flash out of, 1 tsp then filled with sand to top. that's the only way I got a LOUD report. I'm actually here to find a new source for flash powder. Good luck!

I dont know much about thunder mugs , but im pretty sure flash powder inside them Is NOT safe at all.i see a pipe bomb the future if you continue to use Flash Powder. BTW if your on this forum for flash powder , HAHAHAHAHAHA, good luck with anyone giving you any information regarding flash :lol: :whistle:

I suggest looking more into Thundermugs and concussion pots if you think flash powder inside of them is unsafe.

Could you flesh that out a little more for us Mum?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I suggest looking more into Thundermugs and concussion pots if you think flash powder inside of them is unsafe.

I too would like to hear more about this. I know the pyrocreations people use 70:30 and no wadding in their thundermugs, so I'd be interested to know how they'd work with 2:1:1 slow flash and a little bit of wadding.

Oops, forgot about this. What I meant is that Pyroman clearly didn't have an idea how theatrical concussion pots or thunder mugs worked is he was claiming they were unsafe. They are designed and intended to use flash powder. I understand that he was likely just erring on the side of caution and using what seems like sound common sense if you're not informed on the matter. I have read that the major theatrical concussion suppliers each supply or spec their own pots for their own compositions. Using one companies concussion pot with another company's composition can lead to dangerous situations.

This is probably the single most useful post on this website about it. I know the poster, and he is very knowledgeable about the proximate pyro industry.

www.amateurpyro.com/forums/topic/5507-next-fx-cannon-simulator/

For me I wouldn't want to put flash powder in a metal tube no matter how think or safe it says it is , that's why I said it was unsafe but I gusses if you want to and you can do it than do it. but for me it just didn't seem like a good idea .

Thanks for the clarification on this mumbles :)

Stay Safe and Stay Green.

~Steven

Link removed for now

That link of yours didn't work for me, it loaded the thread, and then went to a error page. When i Waited for the thread to load, hit ESC, it was all good. But, sadly, it trigged something on the forum security side, now my IP seam banned, had to skip over a proxy to send this. I'm going to shoot you a PM as well, if this message gets through...

On topic. Yeah, i think thats a source as good as it gets.
B!

MrB, same thing happened to me. Rebooted the modem for dynamic IP address swap and all was good. I couldn't even get to an APC logon screen...."server not found" timeout error. Every other internet site worked as they should. Very selective, for sure!

MrB, same thing happened to me. Rebooted the modem for dynamic IP address swap and all was good. I couldn't even get to an APC logon screen...."server not found" timeout error. Every other internet site worked as they should. Very selective, for sure!

I managed to post the above post by means of a web-proxy. This post is made from the office, and not my home, so different hookup. Needless to say, everything else works fine, it's APC that blocks the IP, nothing else. My home hookup is semi static IP, i have to change MAC to get a new IP, and it breaks a few other services... Mubles knows about the issue, and will have a peek at it, so i'm expecting my home PC to work when i get home... Well, perhaps not when i get home, but "soon".

I've been missing out on my APC daily "fix" for a while now, so it's starting to become an issue. Found my self forced to go out and light something last night, just to get it out of my system.

B!

I removed the direct link to the post, and changed it to the thread. There was something wrong with it. I even got myself banned for about 10 seconds.

I also mentioned this to the other admin. It seems to be on the server side, not software side.