APC Forum

AzoMittle

I was reading up on DEET (N,N-Diethyl-meta-toluamide) the active ingredient in most mosquito repellant; I was reading a label while hiking and got curious, shoot me. Wikipedia said:

DEET is an effective solvent and may dissolve some plastics, rayon, spandex, other synthetic fabrics, and painted or varnished surfaces including nail polish.

I looked through Google Scholar and Web and could only find two mentions of DEET as a solvent -- rather than insect repellant or transdermal drug application. Neither of which go into detail but just kind of mention its solvent properties as an aside.

http://www.nature.co...s.2008.672.html

http://scienceblogs....ing-you-just-s/

I was toying with the idea in my mind of experimenting with using plastics and synthetics as binders. If I get some time this weekend I might try using it on a few different samples and try to refortify them sans our chemicals.

Does anybody know about DEET? Really can't find much so throw it out there, please.

About all I know about it is that it attacks my safety glasses. I've ruined countless pairs from bug spray. I presume the lenses were polycarbonate, which is generally a rather difficult to dissolve plastic. I'm not sure if it's actually dissolving it or just fogging/blushing/marring the surface.

What sort of plastics and synthetics were you thinking about using? Generally toluene is one of the better solvents for polymers. THF also seems to attack everything.

IF DEET is bio active in small quantities then do you want to handle it in large quantities?

If DEET is long lasting as a repellent do you want to use a slow evaporating solvent with a binder.

Water is a cheap binder, and while small amateur quantities don't bother with occasional costs why make this hobby more expensive?

Then of course you have to do a full analysis of reactions of pyro ingredients with DEET. -make sure there will be no spontaneous reactions.

What sort of plastics and synthetics were you thinking about using?

Well since I can't find much I was thinking of testing it on more or less whatever I can find. However latex, PVC, HDPE, cellulose, nylon, polyester, and saran come to mind. If I can find anything that works that alone is of value; I'm trying to find a few different things, a rubbery consistency, a solid, and a thread/string.

Generally toluene is one of the better solvents for polymers. THF also seems to attack everything.

I'll try them if I can find some.

IF DEET is bio active in small quantities then do you want to handle it in large quantities?

If DEET is long lasting as a repellent do you want to use a slow evaporating solvent with a binder.

Water is a cheap binder, and while small amateur quantities don't bother with occasional costs why make this hobby more expensive?

Then of course you have to do a full analysis of reactions of pyro ingredients with DEET. -make sure there will be no spontaneous reactions.

This would be small quantities.

I don't mind doing that sort of work but I haven't thought through what needs to be done yet, so please go on if you care to.

edit: The bottle I have on hand is 25% with the remainder simply listed as inactive, I'm hoping I won't have to find a more concentrated solution. I'm also short on time so this is getting pushed to the bottom of my to do list after a few quick tests probably.

Edited by AzoMittle

I don't know about you but I wouldn't want to use bug spray as a solvent... if its bad for insects its gotta be bad for you too.

It's just about the only organic solvent that comes in a bottle designed to be applied directly to the skin. Also working in small diluted quantities with standard safety procedures I'm not overly worried.

AirCow, I found out while looking into it that current evidence is pointing towards it being an actual repellant in that mosquitoes don't like the smell. But there have been all kinds of crazy theories for it in and out of favor since its creation, so eh, take it as you will.

I don't know about you but I wouldn't want to use bug spray as a solvent... if its bad for insects its gotta be bad for you too.

Please feel free to stop using sulfur and boric acid at any point as well.

I support any experimentation you want to do with this AzoMittle. I don't know if it will be any more effective than more common solvents, but it's worth a shot I suppose.

Here in Norway you can get a mosquito spray that contains 87% DEET. You may take a look at the
if you want. Sorry I couldn't resist.